Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I’m a new mummy to a wonderful toy poodle and I couldn’t be happier. He is quite a big boy so I wanted to check with you guys what size was yours around that age. mine just turned 9 weeks, he is about 3.3 lbs and around 7.8 inches tall (not easy to weigh or measure this little thing while he just wants to run around and play)) I was told that both parents are toy poodles with mum being 10 inches and dad 11 inches tall. Also, his siblings were twice smaller. I don’t mind what size he will be when he grows up but I want to understand if he is a toy or a miniature. Also, can puppies get bigger (on the miniature side) even if born from two toys? Thank you in advance and sorry if this question has been asked million times over here...

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
He is a toy if his parents are toys, no matter how big he gets. If too big according to standard, he will be an « oversized toy ». Yes, sometimes in-size parents will have oversized babies. In fact it happens a lot.

He doesn’t seem that big for a toy. Beckie was 2.3 lbs at 4 weeks and 5.8 lbs at 19 weeks (I don’t have in between). She ended up being 8.5 lbs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Your puppy does not sound over-sized ( yet ) to me. I did not get Sammy until he was 12 weeks old. If I remember correctly, he was 5 1/2 lbs at 12 weeks. He is very leggy and measures 12 " full grown. He now weighs between 8 - 9 lbs.

Sammy may be a somewhat over-sized toy. I personally like that. From my research, a toy is a toy. A mini is a mini. Toys seem to be finer boned and mini's seem to have a heavier frame.

Regardless, enjoy your puppy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your reply. So glad I could get some good answers.
I will love him whatever size he gets, just wanted to understand if it’s normal for him to be that big. I only got concerned because all other puppies from his litter were much smaller. But then again, they might be growing with different speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My pup was the exact size your pup is at 10 weeks, and she is now most likely at her full height and either just at the top of the toy range or slightly over (I question my measuring skills lol) if that helps at all! Most likely he'll be similar in size to his parents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts