Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is misty, I am a lifetime poodle lover. My mother raised poodles while I was growing up. After getting married in 1994, my aunt gave me and my husband a sweet little runt of the litter that was not expected to make it. Febe was with us for 12 years and we miss her so much. She became so crippled with arthritis, we had to choose to have her put to sleep. The new baby was born on December 21, 2009 and we picked her out the week after she was born. Her brothers and sisters are all blonde and she is black and brown. Her name is Georgia and I believe that I have everything I need in order to get her here and be comfy. She will be in a cage in my living room only when we are gone, because I have a 6 and 9 year old that leave things out and I dont want to chance her safety. I am very excited but I have questions maybe the answer from a seasoned veteran about potty training. Febe was never really fully potty trained, she would go outside, but she would go inside too. My mother's dogs were never trained to potty outside. I want to know when to start potty training and what is the best angle. Can someone please help me out. I am so glad to be here. My husband is in several vehicle forums and finds them very helpful..Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear about Febe, and glad you are jumping back in. Poodles are great. Would this be a toy poodle?

As far as potty training, my experience has been outside is better:)

I crate trained all of mine. A crate that can expand is best but during training leave enough room for the pup to lay, turn around stand easily in the hopes it will decrease the chance of going in the crate. My biggest thing is limited space for the dog all together - people including myself make the mistake of allowing way too much space for their pups to run around the house and it is fair game to pee/poo in more places. I did every 20 - 30 minutes outside for the first couple weeks and I started immediatly. Potty training is not that hard if your attentive and consistent. Curious why were your moms dogs not trained outside?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New baby coming home

I made a mistake, she is coming home February 2nd not net tuesday. I bought a BIG crate because I wanted one large enough for her to raise a family if we decide to breed her, I guess that is my first mistake. My mom was just lazy about letting out the dogs is the reason why they werent trained. I go to school full time, but it wont be impossible for me to train her. My school is local this semester and I have 4 complete home days one other day, my husband is home and the other 2 I am in and out. I want to do this the right way and not screw up, I want her to be a happy dog and I want to be happy with her. Accidents I know, will happen, but I dont want them to happen all the time. So I guess I need to get a smaller crate like you say. Do you think that it is okay to let her sleep with us? I remember we got so tired of hearing Febe scream every night for a week she broke us down and we let her sleep in the bed with us from then until the day I took her to the vet to have her put down. She was a really great dog. When we had children she started "going" in my son's room, I am sure it was jealousy! Thanks for the info, keep it coming, i am so excited!
MistyD

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hi and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about Febe. Its so hard to lose a furry family member. Its great that you have a new puppy coming though. Please keep us posted and when you get some pics we'd love to see them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I have pictures of her from one week up until 4 weeks now, when I figure out the forum, I will post them, she doesnt much look like a poodle right now and she is a very different color than I have ever seen, but I will post them when I figure all this out. My husband is much better with the forums than I am. Thanks for welcoming me! It makes me feel included!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Hello and welcome.

So sorry about your Febe. It is always awful to lose a pet!! It is good that you are getting a new puppy. You can never replace them, but a new one helps fill the hole that is left.

I only believe in house breaking, not paper training. It is all about watching the body language of the puppy and letting it out right after a big sleep, big play, or food. Poop training is relatively simple. It goes in one end and out the other. So, within a few minutes of eating the pup should go out. And when it does it's business, a big smile and lots of praise goes a long way. Peeing is a bit more difficult because it is more random, but usually they go when they have been asleep, or after they eat. If you watch ghe puppy closely, you will see it sniffing the ground, moving around with its nose to the ground. They tell you when something is up. Put it out and praise it when it goes. It doesn't take long for them to ge the message!

Good luck with your new addition, as yes, we love photos!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much, for all the information, I definitely want her going outside and want her to be able to let me know eventually, Febe use to go to the door and let us know it was time. Keep it coming, I want all the information I can get and ppl who have done it are better than a book or dvd. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You must be bursting with excitement over your new furbie coming. Looking forward to photos when you get her. What size is she?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am dying to bring her home. I am getting her sister for my daddy who is disabled and I am going to visit with the babies tomorrow. I am always confused about the sizes, I believe she listed them as toy poodles, but the only ones that I know for sure are teacups and standards. LOL! I am so, so excited, I just cant hardly wait to get her here and give her heaps of love! I missed having a little "furbie" as you call it. Life just isnt the same without them. Thanks for everyone's support!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts