Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new baby is due in August, and I'm wondering if I should pack my poodle off to my fathers place the week he is born.
Dad has a boxer, and is our regular sitter when we go away. The dogs regularly romp around together.
That week will be pretty insane with visitors, routines to be established etc, maybe it would be easier on him? If he comes back a week later he won't have missed any exercise and we'll be just that bit more settled. Or am I being selfiish and just considering myself in this equation, and the fact it will be easier in that first burst of madness without the dog under my feet?

I have no worries about him and newborns/children and jealousy. We had him when my daughter was very young for that reason, and he gets to visit the kindy children at hubby's work a bit. Obviously supervision will always be a priority.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I don't think it is selfish at all! I think you are being very smart. It sounds like he has a blast with his boxer friend. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Congratulations on your baby! May you have a smooth delivery.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You're not being selfish in considering yourself first--he is a dog. He won't even give it a second's thought. Sounds like he'll be having a blast anyway and he'll be in a place where you don't have to worry about him. Sounds like a win-win for all concerned.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Did we just write almost the same exact thing, BFF? I swear I didn't see your post before writing that. LOL!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth, I would keep the dog with my own family in my own home. He will be around and see everyone happily meeting the baby. He will feel like the important big brother

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have never had a baby, so i cant give any first hand advice. I think it sounds like a very good idea to have your father watch him for a week. If he is home there is a good chance he will not get the exercise/attention he would normally have (very expected with new baby!!!). He will be tired and calm when he gets back. I would maybe once the baby is home send a blanket with his scent on it to your dads so he can get used to it before arriving home. I would do this in mine and my dogs best interest if i were bringing a baby home. As much as you love your dog, the last thing im sure your going to want is another creature to take care of right away.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I thought the title of your thread was interesting..."New baby arrival - whats best for the dog?" My opinion is that "what is best for the dog" is ultimately "what is best for YOU!!!!" :)

Best of luck with your new arrival!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I have raised six children. The first week home is chaotic and mom and dad are usually exhausted. It is much more difficult to deal with every day things without having to worry about whether or not the dog is being neglected at this tiem. I think your idea of sending your dog off for a week's visit with your dad is a sound idea. I also like the idea of sending something with the baby's scent on it to let your dog get used to the smell of the new one in the house.

I don't think that you are being selfish at all. I think you are being very smart about this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts