Poodle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Poodle People,
I've been reading the incredibly helpful information on this forum for some weeks now, and I was waiting to join (perhaps superstitiously?) until I knew I would be bringing home a poodle. And now I know! We will be welcoming a standard pup into our family in June. I am thrilled! This will be my first dog in many years, my first standard poodle, and my first time raising a young puppy. I'm beginning to gather supplies, research vets, training methods, insurance, etc.

A little about my interests, depending on the poodle's temperament, I would like to explore therapy certification, and perhaps also a sport, like rally. The knowledge you all share here is invaluable. Plus, I love all the gorgeous poodle pics!

I look forward to continuing to learn from all of you!

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Welcome to PF and great congrats on the pup to be your new family member. Standard puppies are not always easy, but the rewards of doing a good job with them when they are babies are tremendous and wonderful. there are some great sticky threads that you will find good general training and puppy training, puppy grooming info in. So you have some homework reading tight her to get ready.

I personally love training and performance sports. All together training and trialing have greatly deepened the bonds I have with all of my dogs. Rally is a wonderful entry sport and now is our home since Lily will be 11 before I know it and I don't want her to have to deal with full obedience jump heights.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Lily CD! I am busily reading through the stickies... I made sure in particular to read the "scary" new puppy sticky thread because I am trying to go in with as few fantasies about those early stages as possible, though i know i can't avoid doing some romanticizing, and I know there will be some not-great surprises along the way. To me it will all be worth it--i say that now!

I've also been reading some (way too many) dog behavior/training books, but one I've been reading by Karen Pryor makes a lot of sense to me, and I'm curious to try click-training.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on your new spoo puppy! I'm so glad you're doing your homework before puppy comes home so you know what to expect. It's definitely challenging at times, but you'll get through it, through the laughter as well as the times you want to pull your hair out.

I'm a huge fan of clicker training. I trained Frosty with a clicker from the start, and his rate of learning is amazing!

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Hi and welcome. It's wonderful you are reading the stickies and doing your homework so you will be well prepared.

Can't wait to see photos when you bring your puppy home.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Thank you, Lily CD! I am busily reading through the stickies... I made sure in particular to read the "scary" new puppy sticky thread because I am trying to go in with as few fantasies about those early stages as possible, though i know i can't avoid doing some romanticizing, and I know there will be some not-great surprises along the way. To me it will all be worth it--i say that now!

I've also been reading some (way too many) dog behavior/training books, but one I've been reading by Karen Pryor makes a lot of sense to me, and I'm curious to try click-training.

Yuppers you need to have the rose colored glasses off and ground to dust! Puppy raising can be quite humbling. I grew up with family dogs, but had not raised my own adult life puppy before Lily and Peeves. That was eye popping! We survived though thankfully since BF had raised a GSD pup not so long before we got the current "oldsters." Javelin was a much easier puppy on many levels thankfully. Karen Pryor is great although I am not great with a clicker on timing so I use verbal markers instead. Ian Dunbar is awesome too (and you can download his puppy books for free at dogstar daily). You will do just fine!

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
Welcome, glad to have you on the forum and am happy you have found great information here. My standard turned out great, although there were times I thought I would never get through his antics.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm...must have done something wrong

I tried to post a question in the training and obedience subforum yesterday. Any idea why it wouldn't show up? I looked around for instructions, but didn't find anything. TIA!

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
I tried to post a question in the training and obedience subforum yesterday. Any idea why it wouldn't show up? I looked around for instructions, but didn't find anything. TIA!

Hmm all that should be required is to have made your intro post, so not sure on tht. If the problem persists I would send a private message to admin to see if they can hel you get things sorted.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the welcomes! I am still having trouble posting threads, so I wrote to the admin, and I posted on a thread in the technical difficulty subforum where another new member had posted about a similar problem in the past. I'm guessing my posts are being misidentified as spam. Anyway, I'm sure it will be worked out. I'm looking forward to asking a few questions...

·
Premium Member
10,728 Posts
I wanted to welcome you to PF, and give you kudos for doing the training research and reading the scary “sticky” on puppy reality. If you’ve never had a poodle, ask the breeder for an “easy keeper”, a term I learned from Lily CD on PF. Too late, lol! Susan Garrett is another name to add to your training reading. Best wishes on the new puppy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.