Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! New to poodles and this site. Our family had a springer spaniel that passed 2 years ago (and we moved). We miss having a dog. Our good friend has 2 standard poodles (purchased a year apart) and they seem like great dogs. I love that they a not big shedders, and can make good therapy/emotional support dogs. My youngest has high functioning autism (used to be called asperger's). We like the idea of having two pups but are unsure if it is better to get one and then add one, or just go all in from the start. If it matters we are planning to possibly get 2 females from either the same litter or a litter that was born and socialized together. Also our family is myself, my husband, and 4 kids (15,13,10,8). I am home full time. We have done foster for a rescue over the past 2 years. Ideas, suggestions, warnings?

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
One, and then another in a couple of years - definitely! Read up about puppy litter mate syndrome, and search for other threads on here about raising two puppies at once, and be warned. It can be done, but is a full time job that takes enormous amounts of time and commitment that are unlikely to be available in a busy family. You don't say whether you are looking at standards or miniatures, but either way I think you will find the advice from trainers, behaviourists and the vast majority of owners who have been through it is that if you are considering getting two pups at once, don't!

Reactions: scooterscout99

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I second fjm's information. I'm a second time, two at a time pooparent. The first time was two sister littermates, nearly two years old. They were basically trained, having lived with their breeder (who decided to change her breeding focus) and so when they came to live with DH and me, we only had to learn each other. They were a cakewalk.

When we lost them many years later, and finally reached the point of looking again, long story short, we ended up with two almost 9 week old mini poo boy littermates.

If we hadn't been working offset schedules, and very soon after both practically fully retired, I don't think we would ever have dared. I can't explain the math but two puppies seem to take the work of many more. Puppies are very labor intensive in those first months.

If going for a puppy, I'd recommend one to start, then after the first is fairly grown and knows the ropes, the older pup can help teach the next new family member :). If you're considering older pups with some housetraining and past teething, that's potentially doable, so long as they haven't been depending primarily on each other for company. That's a difficult bond to open up.

Reactions: Paris

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Yes one...then you can add a few years later if you still wish too. Not sure about the size poodle ou are considering either. Poodles are a lot of work the first year or two. Plus you have the added grooming every 4-6 weeks. Then there is a matter of littermate syndrome and many times two females do not get along in the same household. I always think once you take in a dog it is a lifetime commitment so if you take two you really must be ready as you wouldn't want to have to give one up if you found it to be too much.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
I've done littermates and singles. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Some plusses:
-They play with each other. Since puppy classes may not be running now, this is good.
-They have a companion for those first lonely nights away from mom.
- You get the housebreaking done all at once.

Some cons:
- Double cost on everything: vet bills, grooming appointments, harnesses they outgrow...
-They will tag team trouble. One of our pairs removed a large section of kitchen wallpaper. Another pair dragged a sofa into the middle of the room before shredding the seat cushioning.
-Training is triple, not double, the work. You should work with each puppy separately, and then reinforce the lesson by working with them together.
-It can be stressful if some members of the family aren't on the same page regarding training.
-You will need to nip sibling rivalry in the bud. The dominant pup will try to muscle in on everything. Some treats (bully sticks, smoked bones) may be too high value and start fights. This is more of a multi-dog issue than a littermates issue.
-Chances are, no matter how hard you try, one of the pups will get a bit shaded out by the other one. Training and socialization might not be quite as strong. This is a huge deal if you are trying to raise a service dog. It's less of a problem if you just care about basic pet skills. I've had the same problem with with unrelated adults too, however. The non-dominant comes to rely on the dominant to sort out all problems.

I personally haven't seen that the bond with each other prevents a good bond with you, at least not if you are paying them proper attention. They will bond with other. They will also bond with you. It's possible that each one will pick a favorite human.

I think one of the keys to success is your family dynamic - whether you have enough adultish people around to give individual attention to each puppy plus the littlest humans. If your 13 and 15 year olds will cheerfully take a puppy each and go for a walk while you stay home with the 8 year old after he's been stung by a bee, then you are good. If your older kids are likely to regress and vie for your attention when you need their help, then littermates are not for you.

·
Premium Member
23,383 Posts
As pretty much everyone above said, please do not do two spoo pups at the same time! You risk that they will bond more to each other (littermate syndrome, even if not actual littermates). Our two older dogs now 11.5 years old were like Irish twins. They are both great dogs now but wow I don't ever want to deal with two puppies at once ever again. Since spoos can be silly clownish dogs and tend to be slow to mature I would wait no less than 2 years and think 3 is better and if you were going to have one female and one male I would get the bitch first then the dog since girls (like human girls) tend to get a bit more sensible a little sooner. Javelin will be five very soon and it is only the last few months where I haven't been saying well he is a boy to excuse silly things he does.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I personally haven't seen that the bond with each other prevents a good bond with you, at least not if you are paying them proper attention. They will bond with other. They will also bond with you. It's possible that each one will pick a favorite human.
This is exactly what happened with our girls. They were bonded with each other which is why we were loathe to part them and tear their known world even further apart. Within not so very long at all, Noel had chosen DH as her person, his first time ever for that, and Holly chose me. There was plenty of love all around but they did each have a favorite.

Before we ended up with the boys in our search for a single girl, several breeders told us that the best chance of having an equal opportunity love puppy was to choose a puppy, where both of us would be sort of equally invested in the raising. The equal raising didn't so much happen but the boys really don't seem to have favorites. They dealer trade between us all day, every day.

Beyond the additional effort, which was plenty lol, and since we had the time to give, I figured so long as I didn't bring home both of them so they could entertain each other and keep each other company so I wouldn't have to, we'd figure it out.

Still, I'd say two at a time is not for the inexperienced or the faint of heart :).

·
Registered
474 Posts
When I was young my parents got two chocolate labs, they were a week apart and from different litters. we had no issues with training. we made sure we had separate times with each to prevent littermate syndrome. I trained them for duck hunting for my dad and I found house training and duck training was easier with two. He'd only take one at a time with him so then one would stay home with us. They were very bonded but I wouldn't say it was overly so. our female ended up having cancer at a year old and the male could tell something was wrong. we ended up losing her and our male cried continuously for two days before my mom bought another pup.my family was heartbroken too. He was fine right when the new pup arrived, I think he just loved having someone to nurture, bc they'd always sleep together. so that may be something to think about. we always had more than one dog so for us going to get another one wasn't an issue but that may or may not be for you. I know no one likes to think about the bad what if's that could happen but in this case I think it's important because if something does happen, there's a possibility your other dog may not be happy being the only dog in the home.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have decided to be a little crazy...these are our girls. Born about a week apart. We will get them late june. Since hubby works from home now (got a perm wfh job not just covid wfh), and the kids will be home til Sept ill have plenty of help. Wish us luck! They have picked Leah for the black and white. They looked up girl's names that mean cow... we still need a name for the brown and white. Lucy and Lulu have both been mentioned. We will see. I prefer 2 syllable names for sure...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Congratulations! They're so cute :)

Oh, and yes, you've gone a little bit crazy, but in a wonderful way and with back up lol!

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have decided to be a little crazy...these are our girls. Born about a week apart. We will get them late june. Since hubby works from home now (got a perm wfh job not just covid wfh), and the kids will be home til Sept ill have plenty of help. Wish us luck! They have picked Leah for the black and white. They looked up girl's names that mean cow... we still need a name for the brown and white. Lucy and Lulu have both been mentioned. We will see. I prefer 2 syllable names for sure... View attachment 466667
Congratulations!!! They are adorable 💝

1 - 11 of 11 Posts