Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I love this wonderful site! I am planning in the next 3-6 months to get my first poodle. I did a lot of back and forth over standard vs mini and think I have my heart set on a beautiful, well bred mini!

Like many others I was first attracted to a Malti-poo my friend had! She was so very sweet. After doing a lot of research in doodles and poodles, I came across this forum and read some very informative posts about how amazing poodles are! It was funny, when looking at all the designer breeds, they were typically so expensive in the $5,000-$6,000 range! And yet when doing my research I realized what I really want is a poodle! Smart, beautiful coat and such cutiesl

This website is such a great resource for finding breeders and I am very pleased! I cannot wait to show you all when I get a poodle!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Hi and Welcome!
Keep us updated on your poodle quest!

Reactions: Jdsmiles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes will definitely keep ya’ll updated! I keep going back and forth between a standard and a mini. I am basically going to be moving to a new place in 6 months or so, so I guess it will depend on what size place I get to when I’ll make the final decision.

For mini’s I have my eye on Black Pearl Poodles here in SF.

And for Standards Marqui Diamond Poodles.

We’ll see what happens! :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That may be a good idea. Even six months in advance huh? I should email breeders and see their thoughts :)
Yes, many breeders plan things out way ahead of time so they'll be able to tell you what litters they're expecting and when. If you are getting on multiple lists make it clear because breeders would rather know.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Even 6 months in advance, yes. The better breeders, such as those you've mentioned, typically have wait lists to begin with and the pandemic drive for "let's go ahead and get our poodle now" has taken that wait out even longer.

The good news, as I see it, is that you'll have time to decide, prepare, be in your new quarters, and hopefully puppy social and beginning classes will be open.

Contact the breeders that have your interest and introduce yourself. If competitions start opening up again, go to a couple of those, if open to the public, to see poodles in action.

I don't remember which member has adopted the strategy of getting on 2-3 waitlists with breeders that don't require a deposit. I can't say how common that practice is, not requiring a (usually non-refundable) deposit to demonstrate your seriousness, but people do drop off lists as well.

It's as likely too, that some pups will, no fault of their own, find themselves back at the breeders, when peoples circumstances change again in these quite uncertain times.

Don't compromise on the quality of breeder and poodle. The right poodle for you is worth the wait!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the great feedback! Yes I am finding that having time to plan this well, may work out in my favor! There are so many different variables! I found some really good dog trainers around here too! Living in the California Bay Area is definitely a plus, because you can usually find everything around here!

I‘d love an Apricot, Red, Black & White Parti, Brown or Silver poodle baby! Haha (not too picky as you can tell). I’ve always had girl pets (dogs & cats) but don’t have any qualms about which gender to be honest. I feel bad to pick and choose based solely on gender and coloring, though it’d be nice to get one of the above colors! I just want a happy healthy puppy.

I reached out to Black Pearl and got a response already! Very polite, professional and nice! She said if I am not picky on gender, in their next litter towards the end of the year I can potentially get a boy puppy! She said to fill out the puppy application when I am ready to get on the email waitlist. I was very impressed with her communication.

I will be reaching out to Marqui today!

I keep seeing myself in my minds eye with a standard, so I am thinking I should just go with that size. I am just wondering how it’d be picking up such large poops on walks! Haha.

Thanks again for all the advice ya’ll!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts