Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now, :cute: warm greetings from Ontario. :curl-lip:

Meet Finnigan, our 10 week old apricot mini.

After several years of searching, reading, and getting educated, we finally chose our breed, Poodle (Miniature.) Then, after a long search for the right breeder, we got our long awaited family addition, Finnigan. He is, simply put, wonderful. His breeders were amazing people, puppies raised underfoot, and we were able to meet Mommy and Daddy.

A bit about his WONDERFUL breeders: They are hobby breeders that live out in the country, and they DO clip the mommy and daddy dogs, but they don't do it themselves, they take them to the groomers. They also find that some people, espcieally pet families, do not like to clip thier puppies short, so they leave it up to the owner.

Finnigan is not a show dog, he is a pet, a family dog, and his personality is simply amazing. His color probably isn't apricot enough, he's a bit on the big side for a mini, he has a tiny overbite, and his little muzzle is all furry and puppy-like. I also have an overbite, some stretch marks, and some of the craziest hammer toes you have ever seen, but he loves me and I love him, freckles and all! The couple we got Finn from took a lot of time to paper train, socialize and raise thier puppies in the house under foot. He and his siblings owe the fact they are paper/house trained so well at 10 weeks, with such soft friendly personalities to the way the breeders raised him. So much love went into it. He just lays there like a gentleman while I brush his little body, he doesn't bark or yip, and he isn't overly dominant or very submissive. All of thier puppies were very well rounded out.

We have had him for 3 days now, he is 10 weeks (born August 4th.) The ride home was about an hour, and he hardly even gave a wiggle as I held him all the way home.

When we got him, he went pee on his papers, and after that, he goes potty on command. We take him outside every few hours, put him in the grass, and say "Go Pee" and he goes pee. Sometimes, he doesnt' have to pee, but he will if I repeat the command a few times, and when he does, he just looks at me waiting for his praise. I never even imagined EVER that he would be so smart. He hasn't made a mistake yet other than he did go potty last night while we slept. I'm shocked by how well he is taking to potty training. After he goes, he looks up wagging his tail rushing back to me just waiting for his praise. He is very VERY praise motivated and adores positive attention.

I would say, he's for sure a couch potato, and was the most laid back go with the flow out of the litter. He does seem to love me the most, he doesn't like me being out of his eye sight.

I cannot imagine life without him, and really look forward to meeting all of you and getting to know all of your poodle friends. I feel a very special sort of love for Finnigan... I knew bringing a dog into your home was rewarding, but I never knew it would be THIS rewarding.

Here are some photos:
(use the arrow button at the top of the photo to scan through, we have several of him. To enlarge a photo, click on it. He has not been shaved, and we will (for now - especially during winter) keep a longer coat on him for warmth. I do however need to get his paws trimmed up so he won't do a slippey slidey on the tile lol!

http://thecompletists.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=38

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Awww a snuggly lil guy!

Looks like my brothers dog "Rusty" which is in the other dog section here :)

Great addition to the family!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Gigit, your puppy is a little fuzz bear and is adorable, looks so soft! :D

A lot of people where I live here in the South choose sometimes to leave
their poodles face furry, I think it is a personal choice, I shave mine by
choice though..I just like going for that look!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh, so cute!! Isn't it amazing how quickly they worm their way into your heart? I think it takes about 10 seconds! You're lucky that he is praise motivated -- you might not need to use treats much or at all.

He looks plenty apricot-y to me. I've definitely seen lighter apricots.

Welcome!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Welcome Gigit:

Hey, I'm one of those pet buyers that does prefer the shaggier look (although I'm learning to appreciate the show do), so I get why your breeder chose not to shave them. The breeder that I got my std. from kept her dogs in the traditional puppy clip and earlier I shared with the group her reaction when I brought Max to visit. She was disgusted that I let him get so shaggy.

Like you said, to each his own. I sure do appreciate the show dogs and I might even try the ponydoodle clip ; ) What's really important is that our pups have a happy home with lots of love, play, great vet care...

Glad you decided to stick around. Like mercymoon said, people might have strong opinions but intentions are good.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He goes Friday for his clip & grooming. We are going to give him the puppy clip with a mustache. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Welcome Gigit:

Hey, I'm one of those pet buyers that does prefer the shaggier look (although I'm learning to appreciate the show do), so I get why your breeder chose not to shave them. The breeder that I got my std. from kept her dogs in the traditional puppy clip and earlier I shared with the group her reaction when I brought Max to visit. She was disgusted that I let him get so shaggy.

Like you said, to each his own. I sure do appreciate the show dogs and I might even try the ponydoodle clip ; ) What's really important is that our pups have a happy home with lots of love, play, great vet care...

Glad you decided to stick around. Like mercymoon said, people might have strong opinions but intentions are good.

Off the record, clipping the face, feet and tail is not a show clip. Its just healthier for the poodle. Please dont confuse it. I appreciate any pet clip including mustaches, but hair must be right away from the eyes and ears. To leave lots of hair near the ears would make you wonder if ears are getting plucked which is also bad healthwise for any breed with long hair. We all know the infection this causes. Nor does long hair on feet stop slipping, extra grip comes with a clipped foot as the pad has grip. They usually slip if the toenails are long, or if they arent use to slippery floors.

Nor do I expect anyone to like the show clip, hell if it wasnt in the breed standard when showing, I wouldnt waste the hours of hard labour doing it, they would be cut off short, life would be so much easier for me. I dont mind a puppy with long body coat, personally I think its better as they grow very leggy and look skinny without it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yup, Finnigan is getting his paws trimmed and all around his eyes, and under his face, though my husband really likes the Teddy Bear clip, I think that will be our "winter cut" because we will still walk him in the winte

*edited to add*

And, we are having his ears plucked :)

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Start time to get moose a clip when he can't sit ... his front legs give out and he slides hehe funny to watch! :whoo:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts