Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Per the current newsletter from Versatility in Poodles, AKC has approved a new performance program with appropriate titles. (Note: If you want a copy of this in pdf or MSWord format, message me with your email.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AKCApprovesNewObedienceTitle
byJoanneBarnes

The AKC has approved a new obedience program: Requirements are as follows for the 3 levels of performance: BD, BDX, and BDO.

All levels shall require:

1. Dog does not come on the bed unless invited.
2. Dog does not get handler out of bed until alarm goes off.
3. Dog takes up only his space.
4. Once the lights go out, there is no activity from the dog, such as bathing, scratching, chewing on toys, etc.
5. If told to get off the bed, dog does so immediately.

The Bed Dog (BD) requires one handler and one dog in bed. It can be earned in a twin-size bed. Higher titles require larger beds.

The Bed Dog Excellent (BDX) puts one dog in the bed with 2 handlers. At this level it is also required that the dog sleep at the foot of the bed, not between the handlers.

The Bed Dog Outstanding (BDO) consists of 2 handlers and more than one dog. At this level it is required that the dogs do not bicker among themselves over space. (If you add a cat to the group, your dog can earn a Bed Dog Unbelievable. Cats can also earn any of these titles, substituting C for D in the title certificate.

Non-qualifying Performance:

1. Dog anticipates the command to get on the bed.
2. Any activity from the dog that requires the handler to get out of bed during the specified time period (when lights go out until alarm goes off). 3. Knocking the handler out of bed.
4. Soiling the bed.
5. Not getting along with the other animals in the bed (BDO level).

Major Deductions:

1. Waking the handler, without getting him out of bed.
2. Minor infractions of scratching, bathing, or chewing during night.
3. Causing the handler’s feet to go to sleep.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I can tell you this, for certain.....

We have already flunked and have absolutely no hope of achieving this title.

On some levels, I am not sure we would want to! :D:D:D

Thanks a bunch!

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Oh my, I just about fell of my chair while reading the description of the requirements for those titles!!!

I can't tell you how many ways our dogs fail. Lily gets in bed on her own and lies either sideways or right in the middle with her head pointing at the foot of the bed. She wiggles. She licks the sheets. She thinks me being in bed if she isn't means she should bring me toys for her to fetch. Javelin often gets on the bed just as I am trying to do so. He almost always restricts my movement by lying on top of me. He and Lily always bicker over who gets to be next to me. At least he doesn't stick his butt in my face.

And don't even get me started on Peeves...

Reactions: Vita

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
LOL Now this one we can do !! Renn goes to bed at 8:30 and stays put while I take care of 3 other dogs in the AM, then its his turn. Not a peep out of him all night, and maybe a little whine in the am while I am busy and I just say wait your turn. So worth it to me!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
LOL this is hilarious! Thanks for sharing Johanna. Luna could easily earn this - she has only jumped on our bed 1-2 times ever, both were when she was overexcited and trying to play. She sleeps on her own bed on the floor and always has. I am actually the one always waking her up in the middle of the night, as I have to give my son medication in the middle of the night 3 nights a week. Luna has gotten to the point where she just sleeps right through my alarm and me walking around her. Girl loves her sleep haha!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
haha, this is funny - I fell for the title - I thought you were posting about an real title - took me a while to figure out the joke.

Babykins is really good in bed - no licking or annoying movement, falls asleep before we do and sleeps until I get up in the morning even if DH has to get up early. But she has one annoying behavior. She always jumps up and curls in a ball and goes to sleep - in the worst spot - either exactly where I'm going to get into bed, or on top of DH's pillow. We have to wake her up and move her.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
That was really funny. Noelle is super good in bed and snuggles up with a cat each night. No bickering, no fighting. Just finds her area of the bed and goes to sleep. Francis is a nightmare, though. She's banned from the bedroom because she moves position every 30 seconds and tries to steal my pillow.

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
More titles Buck won’t achieve. DH was complaining before AM coffee that “the dog” kept him up all night and then I opened this thread! Buck snugs up against DH and will even throw his front leg over DH’s shoulder. If there is an inch of skin outside of the comforter, Buck will try to lick, consequently DH cocoons under the covers at the edge of the bed. Of course, Buck shifts around all night and DH is a very light sleeper...

·
Super Moderator
3,006 Posts
Johanna, I loved this! Its a 'mouth hanging open in amazement' level of funny.

Bella loves to go to bed, especially at night. Unless I'm really tired, first we play, then she quietly looks out the window at the city lights and traffic, then she'll pick a spot to sleep. If it's cold, she'll snuggle in my chest until she warms up, then heads for my back or by my knees.

I can't always convince her to pee immediately before going to bed if she went an hour or two earlier; then she might or might not wake me to go. Fortunately this doesn't happen often.

Afternoon naps are vastly different. She'd fail in that title. Two hours if I'm lucky, then she's hopping all over the bed for no other reason than it's not night time. I do not look forward to catching a bad cold or flu and having to sleep a lot; I'd probably send her to the dog sitter.

And the cat has never been allowed in my bedroom due to the shedding, but since he was raised like this as kitten long before Bella came along, he's fine with it.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
What a great post! I laughed so hard when I read this, once I finally realized it was a ruse! How creative Johanna.

We totally fail. I have woken up (on more mornings than I can count) with Lily’s front legs on my chest, wagging her tail, mouth open, and gazing down at me as if to say “c’mon. I’m ready for the next adventure.”

And she is almost ten- not sure when she’s going to embrace her senior status.
At 6 AM, I sure wish she would embrace my seniorness!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts