Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow we go to Tuck’s first puppy class. This will be the first time I’ve ever been to puppy classes too, so I guess we’re learning together. I hope it goes ok, he’s a little nervous in public sometimes (we’ve been going to lots of dog friendly stores and just carrying him to keep him safe until he’s fully vaccinated) but I know the classes will be good for both of us!

Of course here’s an adorable photo for puppy tax :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh gosh this silly pup managed to hit post while I was typing lol.

We’re having a bit of a hard time finding a harness small enough for Mr. Tiny. This harness in the pic is actually my cat’s for her vet trips and even on the smallest setting it’s a bit too big as you can see (even she doesn’t need it all the way to the smallest!) even though it’s a size extra small. Puppy class of course wants him in a harness, and so do I. Any suggestions? He’s a 10.5 week mpoo.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
He can be in a collar for puppy class. I just finished not one but two different puppy classes with my minipoo and both were fine with my minipoo in a collar.

You can start with a collar and switch to harness when you find one. Did the teacher say you must use a harness?

bring lots of tiny tasty treats and enjoy. You’re doing a great job.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He can be in a collar for puppy class. I just finished not one but two different puppy classes with my minipoo and both were fine with my minipoo in a collar.

You can start with a collar and switch to harness when you find one. Did the teacher say you must use a harness?

bring lots of tiny tasty treats and enjoy. You’re doing a great job.
We haven’t had any luck finding a collar locally that goes small enough for him other haha, again his XS collar can slip right over his head. Either way, she does specify a harness, it’s the very first thing on the

“For classes we will require that you please bring the following:
- a comfortable body harness”

I’m excited, and we’re dropping the kids off with the grandparents so both my partner and I can go. He definitely needs to hear things straight from the trainer and not just me haha.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'd take both the harness and a collar, so you can switch off it needed.

He's adorable!

Edited after your post to say - take what you have and it will work out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd take both the harness and a collar, so you can switch off it needed.

He's adorable!

Edited after your post to say - take what you have and it will work out.
That’s the plan for this week, we’ll take them and make it work. I’m hoping though that by next week we can have a better fit.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have no recommendations for tiny puppy harnesses but goodness he is cute. You have a spectacularly adorable pupper.

Reactions: Kait

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no recommendations for tiny puppy harnesses but goodness he is cute. You have a spectacularly adorable pupper.
We really did win the lottery with him. He is the most perfect boy for us, and such a handsome pup. His breeder described him as “cream of the crop”, which was why he was originally held back for evaluation as a possible show dog.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
422 Posts
I've been through sooooo maaaaannnnnyyy haaaarnneeesss lol here's the ones that we like the most:

I have an itty bitty dog so finding anything that fits him and isn't custom made is a pill. I really liked the sizing for BrilliantK9, fits him like a glove. And the perfect fit he wears the "Tiny" size which I found is only sold on Chillydogs

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
L'il Pals by coastal makes some great tiny mesh harnesses. Trixie, at 13 lbs, is in the larger size now but has used one since she came home :)

I can't find a current link for shopping in Canada but most stores can order something like that in - petvalu seems to stock other the figure 8 style lil pals harness but I can't get their website to work to see if they have the mesh style.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
A cat collar might be your best bet for a toy poodle puppy. I really do not like harnesses - a harness is for pulling!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
L'il Pals by coastal makes some great tiny mesh harnesses. Trixie, at 13 lbs, is in the larger size now but has used one since she came home :)

I can't find a current link for shopping in Canada but most stores can order something like that in - petvalu seems to stock other the figure 8 style lil pals harness but I can't get their website to work to see if they have the mesh style.
We have a PetValu up the road and I looked in store but never thought to look online 🤦🏻‍♀️. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any reason you can’t use that one for now? I used a cat harness on my little boy for the first few weeks.
It doesn’t quite fit. It’s very loose at the neck. Funny enough it is technically a dog harness, the cat ones didn’t fit my cat. Now the dog one doesn’t fit the dog 😂

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A cat collar might be your best bet for a toy poodle puppy. I really do not like harnesses - a harness is for pulling!
He’s a mini not a toy, but he does not do well at all on a leash with a collar, plus all the cat collars here are the breakaway ones and he pops them open while he pulls. The class requires a harness anyway, so it’s not an option to just do a collar, but I strongly prefer harnesses.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Can you sew this harness to fit by taking a tuck in it with needle and thread?

I have the brilliant K9 harness. If you buy one, do not get it with the quick release speed buckle. My minipoo figured out in 10 seconds how to release it and work her way out of the harness.

Reactions: Kait and Phaz23

·
Registered
46 Posts
Aww, adorable picture! We had the same challenge when Austen was little. We bought an adjustable harness at PetSmart that looked cute but wasn't very secure - fine for class or a fenced-in area, but we didn't trust it for walks.

Austen also grew really fast as a puppy. If Tuck follows that pattern, it won't be long before he outgrows the cat harness :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts