Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got our 2lb toy, black to turn silver grey! She is very calm. Learning what toys are for. Prefers our fingers to gnaw on but we are signalling if gets too rough. She sleeps a lot, off n on. Is that normal? Food isn’t of great interest to her. Breeder had her on PurinaPuppyChow(ugh) which I’m switching her off. Biggest question is ..how much should our lil Kya be eating in a day? I have numbers from 1/4 cup to 3/4cup/daily.
Wondering if mixing soft food mixed in will entice her.
Or trying the kibble in a Kong?
Ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
Congratulations! I would stick to the food she is used to and the quantities suggested by her breeder for the first week or two, until she is settled. Pups can often be too excited and stressed to eat much at first, and you don't want to make any extra changes in her life just at first. Tiny puppies are at high risk of hypoglycaemia, as I am sure you know, so the important thing is to keep her eating frequent small meals - adding a little cooked chicken or salt free home made chicken stock may encourage her, but she may then expect it for ever more!

Puppies sleep a lot, but she should wake up and be playful in between naps. If she seems lethargic, and is not eating, consider hypoglycaemia and act at once: Hypoglycemia Requires Quick Intervention in Toy Breeds

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Very few poodles are chow hounds, but none will starve themselves. If you do not have any other dogs in the house, you could just put down a bowl of dry kibble alongside a bowl of water and let the puppy eat as much and as often as she wishes.

I am not sure why you do not like Purina Puppy Chow. I raised many puppies on it -toy and standard poodles and other breeds as well . Purina probably does more research on its products than any other brand.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You mentioned in your other thread that the puppy has an underbite that the vet rated as severe. 8 weeks is a bit early for a toy breed to go home and a bit of a risk for hypoglycemia as fjm mentioned. If she is still uninterested in eating, I would consider feeding canned or softened food with warm water until your own vet can check her over and make sure she is not struggling to eat due to dental issues.

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
You mentioned in your other thread that the puppy has an underbite that the vet rated as severe. 8 weeks is a bit early for a toy breed to go home and a bit of a risk for hypoglycemia as fjm mentioned. If she is still uninterested in eating, I would consider feeding canned or softened food with warm water until your own vet can check her over and make sure she is not struggling to eat due to dental issues.
I second this. One of Peggy's littermates had a palate deformity that prevented him from eating. And Peggy couldn't tolerate the food her breeder had her on (Diamond Naturals).

I'm not familiar with the unique dietary requirements of toys, but Peggy was very anxious and "off" until I gave her boiled white chicken, at which point she quickly perked up. I tossed the breeder's food, which I wouldn't typically do. But it felt like a fairly urgent situation and my primary goal was "Get Food Into Puppy."

·
Registered
204 Posts
ForWant seems to be very intelligent regarding poodles.

My Sammy didn't eat much ( at all) when we brought him home. He still doesn't eat when we are on vacation/visiting friends. Sammy also will not eat unless I am within 2 feet of him ( my dog is weird ).

I have found boiling a whole chicken or chicken breasts, getting rid of bones/fat and adding rice is a good diet supplement. He will train with me for a solid hour given this treat.

Some dogs are not gluttons. Mine isn't and it's hard to ensure he eats enough.

·
Registered
Beau 1yr old Mini Poodle
80 Posts
When we first brought Beau home he wasn't really interested in eating at meal times. Then I talked to his breeder and she reminded me that she free fed the pups, so he wasn't used to eating on any kind of a schedule. It took a couple of days but he finally started to get the idea. Although I have noticed that if he hasn't been very active that day, then he won't really be interested in eating at meal time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts