Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Fiona Shay (Mini Poodle), Margaret Maisie (Mini Poodle), Bailey Rose (Himalayan)
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my biggest fear is complications from my babies being overweight. They both have one copy of the CDDY/IVDD Type 1 IVDD and I have been reading what I can about it. They were tested through Embark. So after digesting horror stories about it the biggest thing I took away is maintaining proper weight and limiting certain things. Anyway, I was looking at Miss Shay and was shocked at how big she looked. She is 12 inches tall and weighs 12.4 pounds. Long story shortened…. When I was giving her a bath and she was soaked my concerns for her weight evaporated. I was being fooled by the amount of hair she has.
Water dog Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Flooring

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ms. Nellie Blossom, Ida Lou and Ussman
9,226 Posts
that fluff is deceptive

Just a note 1/3 of all small poodles tested have a copy of the IVDD gene, my Pia does have one copy of the IVDD gene and is symptomatic with 3 scary episodes of wobbliness with crate rest, pain meds and steriods after.

I lost my first toy poodle Baby to a ruptured disc in her neck and my mom lost her toy poodle Mollie to a ruptured disc in her lower back, I am over cautious because of losses, so ramps, soft harnesses and rugs on slick surfaces.

Some poodles with the one copy of the gene have no issues at all, Pia is an intervariety, long backed and from a crap background

·
Registered
33 Posts
When the pups have their long coats on the grandparents are always teasing them and calling them "Oh! Fat boy!" "Fat girl!" as they feed them more snackies, and when they get shaved down a bit grandma goes "Oh, you're all skin and bones!" as they feed them more snackies.... I check to see how prominent their ribs are (not too bony, but still can feel the individual bones) and they are consistent in weight. But the fluff is always so misleading before they get shaved...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts