Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, It is has been almost 13 yrs. since I spayed my last standard. Steeler (our 6 mo. old boy)is set to go in two weeks. The vet is really casual about everything and said only one day of real rest and then careful leash walks only for a few more days. He said there are only sutures under the skin so hopefully no need for a collar (yeah!). Did anyone else have a real easy time of it? Any things I need to be aware of? Thanks for any help, Suzanne

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Boys are a lot easier than girls in my expereince. The last one we had done acted like he hadn't had an procedure at all. He hardly noticed after the first day. He was a little sore that day but by the next aftenood he was ready for anything. He didn't like taking it easy but we made him for the rest of the week.
I cant think of any major concern if you're vet isn't doing traditional stitches that have to be removed. I watch my guys to make sure they aren't licking the site over much but other than that.... ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
We decided to wait until Max was about a year old to have him neutered. In the past we had dogs neutered around 6-7 mos but after some research, I found that there are benefits to waiting. This is what I found. Males benefit from the testosterone while they are growing. In females, the benefit of spaying outweighs the benefit of the hormones.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Gunther was just neutered 2 weeks ago.
He had gastropexy done at the same time.
He recovered fast.
The breeder recommended that I wait till he is at least 14 month old before neutering him. My vet was in agreement.
Saying that there are some indications,that male dogs grow differently,causing problems down the road.
I thought...why take any chances.

·
Registered
478 Posts
What is gastropexy? Did you experience any undesirable male traits from waiting longer? Do you have any other dogs in the house?
Wrigley is scheduled to get fixed at 6 months (in March). I have fixed small females in the house (Chinese Crested). If I waited to fix him - I wonder if the girls would trigger any behavior.

·
Registered
843 Posts
He had absolutely no undesirable behaviour.
My daughter has a 3 year old standard poodle girl ( spayed ) and they were fine together...if anything,it was Stella putting him in his place to establish her rank as the boss.
There was no aggression,no unwanted humping (which,when present, is mainly a***ual anyway).
Laparoscopic gastropexy is attaching the stomach to the right side of his body...to prevent bloat...actually,they can still bloat,but the stomach will not twist.
One thing I have noticed...since Gunther had his surgeries done,his appetite has increased quite a bit. Probably a coincidence.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've heard of having that surgery done as a preventative for great danes but hadn't heard of it being done for Standards. Did you vet suggest this as a preventative or had your guy shown some trouble with bloat? How big is he?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to throw in my two cents again on the bloat. If I had a female I would do the same since that is a more invasive surgery (spaying vs. neutering). Having had a Newfoundland that had emergency surgery for the twisting tummy, I would also think about it. Poodles also tend to bloat, another reason why two meals is recommended for them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My vet recommended it.
I had it done on my standard poodle female before.
Gunther has not exhibited any signs of bloat,but knowing,that standard poodles are known to be predisposed to bloat,I chose to do strictly as a preventative procedure.The laparoscopic gastropexy resulted in 2 small incisions on the side and underneath his body.It is much less invasive than the traditional gastropexy.
He is about 27 in and about 60 lbs at 14 month.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I don't mean to pop in here, but Eli has his jewels and is mommy's angel. He also lives with two spayed female terriers. I have never had an issue.

My personal opinion is to wait until Wrigley is older rather then younger. There are health reason's why waiting is a positive plus Id rather not have a squoting male peeing on his front legs forever. lol Id' let him get accustomed to hiking his leg before the neuter.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As far as recovery, Sam had his at 6 months (we weren't told it might be better to wait) He went in in the morning and we brought him home that afternoon. He slept pretty much till the next morning and then he acted as if nothing had happened. Jenny will be going in at 6 months, I've never had a female, so I'm not sure what to expect. I am going to ask about the gastropexy though. I learn so much on these forums!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
My daughter's silver standard poodle Stella was spayed,using the laparoscopic technique. She had only her ovaries removed.
I was amazed at her speedy recovery and virtually no scaring.
Gunther is my first male dog,so I have had many spays done on my females and usually it is far more invasive than neutering a male dog.
But Stella's surgery was simply amazing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not neutering our boy

Hello all,

We have Uriel (5 months), a gorgeous boy and we're not planning on neutering him. My vet is pretty supportive -- she gave me a raised eyebrow when I said no neutering, and then the speech about hormones, possibly jumping the fence to go looking for love and marking. But she is in favor of not doing it for health reasons. Plus, I want Uriel to look masculine as well. I read about the Long bones growth issues, as well as incontinence as he ages. I am with the other folks about peeing on his front legs! I'll deal with the "teen" years, leave him intact for now.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
We decided to wait until Max was about a year old to have him neutered. In the past we had dogs neutered around 6-7 mos but after some research, I found that there are benefits to waiting. This is what I found. Males benefit from the testosterone while they are growing. In females, the benefit of spaying outweighs the benefit of the hormones.
This is absolutely not true. Recent research suggests that females benefit greatly from being allowed to fully mature before spaying. One of the biggest issues seen in early spay is incontinence.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I was advised to wait until Jake was at least a year old (my mini), which I did. I know there are 2 schools of thought, but since there was no behavior issues to have it done -- just health -- I waited.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
When I see a dog with balls I don't see it as being 'masculine,' unless the dog is a show/preformace dog, I see it as being irresponsible. Not neutering your dog because you want him to be 'masculine' is not a good reason imo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
'Irresponsible' remark is not a fair statement

I am sorry, I did not mean to sound flippant. When I said "look masculine", I meant the look of a male dog who has had no neutering. The face and build look different to me. I am a responsible dog parent -- I've had dogs for 30 years. My yard is fenced, my dogs are chipped, and they go out on a hand held leash in their yard (we have an acre fenced around the house.) If leaving my boy un-neutered makes me irresponsible, I respectfully would ask why?

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is absolutely not true. Recent research suggests that females benefit greatly from being allowed to fully mature before spaying. One of the biggest issues seen in early spay is incontinence.
I would think the benefit of early spaying referred to is eliminating the risk of unplanned puppies especially for ignorant or careless owners, most vets here recommend it for exactly that reason

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Beau was neutered shortly before his first birthday. There were no "boy behavior issues" of any kind, either before or after. He never learned to lift his leg and squats to pee, but that's just fine with us - he's quite fastidious about it and never pees on himself. (Good boy!)

As for recovery, if I recall correctly he went in early in the morning and came home that same afternoon. He was groggy and extremely tired that night, then sort of subdued the next day. After that he was pretty much his old self.

He had internal stitches, but the vet did not want him licking the wound, which Beau did at every opportunity. So we tried to use a cone, which failed miserably (any size big enough to keep him from reaching the incision was too big for his neck, and he'd just slip out of it), and then one of those inflatable ring collars, which worked slightly better. (It at least slowed him down long enough for us to intervene.) All in all, we had about a week of constant vigilence to keep him from licking. By then the wound was fully healed and that was that.

He was already a sweet, mellow boy, and the neuter maybe made him even more cuddly than ever. All in all, waiting to do the procedure until he was around one year old turned out to be pretty optimal for us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts