Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. It's me again! :D Ashes is growing up to be a gorgeous little boy and his silver coloring is really coming in! He'll be FOUR MONTHS soon, can you believe it? He's about 6 lbs now too!

I have a couple questions. All the local vets in my area will neuter between 4-6 months of age. I've read other posts and peoples' concerns and opinions but one thing that seems to vary widely is that some people say neutering early makes the dog grow larger and others say the opposite and that hormones are needed to increase dog growth.

Does anyone actually *know*? Would love to hear from a breeder or vet on this. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
IMO...neutering at too young an age does not allow for proper muscle development. In standards I would say between 9 and fourteen months is ideal. With the toys, I am not too sure. It won't make them grow taller to not neuter until later, but gives them muscle and bulk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO...neutering at too young an age does not allow for proper muscle development. In standards I would say between 9 and fourteen months is ideal. With the toys, I am not too sure. It won't make them grow taller to not neuter until later, but gives them muscle and bulk.
Thanks so much for your opinion. :) He's actually a Miniature, I forgot to mention that, lol!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Then I would say the same things would likely apply to him as a Standard. When a male is neutered quite young, he ends up lanky and leggy and never gets to reach his full potential or be all he can be.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Has there been actual scientific testing done to further either theory or is it all just what someone has observed. I was told by my vet that it often results in a larger dog. I took him at his word as he is supposed to be have scientific training. But I know lots of people with advanced science degrees who spout off misinformation because they noticed it once and want to believe it's true.

I think I am going to do an internet search.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts