Poodle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the best advice says to wait until two years old for male standards, but mine (aged nearly nineteen months) has surprised me by marking three times inside in the past couple of weeks (vet's office, pet store - both locations we've visited many times before without incident). Tonight, at our dog training class, he swiftly lifted his leg and marked on our way out of the building while I was saying goodbye to the instructor. This is a $20 fine and a warning, of course, but we only get two warnings. I'm looking at belly bands for class right now, but also seriously considering neutering him a little earlier in the hopes we can nip this behavior in the bud.

I did ask the instructors what they advised (after apologizing and cleaning up, of course!) but both of them said that their intact dogs had never, ever marked inside, which was not entirely helpful. I just don't want to wait until September and find that the marking has become an ingrained habit...

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
If it was my dog I would neuter him soon before this becomes a hard to break habit. In the meantime, you can find belly bands on Amazon. That’s where I got mine for my dog, many years ago. He is a toy but I’m sure they have bigger sizes.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
I have two dogs in my Scentwork classes with this problem. i see a few at competitions. I have seen a dog pee into the belly band and it worked to contain the urine. She bought it on Amazon.

I can tell you how I’m handling in class … hopefully you can adapt it to your class.

I ask my students to potty their dog before class as well as during class….They potty before each run in the ring. You could potty your dog several times during class. If there’s a particular activity that’s exciting, be sure to potty before that. Watch for clues… dogs usually sniff a certain way before lifting their leg…it’s the same kind of sniffing they do outside looking to mark. If you catch that behavior before the leg lift say stop and quickly drag your dog out to potty. When your dog lifts their leg in the ring …. The fun ends. No treats. In my class the dogs leave the ring and get crated … they lose the opportunity to hunt scent and earn treats. I have had some good success especially watching their behavior and catching them before lifting.
Good luck.

Reactions: MelF and Minie

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what I'm hoping for!

I took him out to potty twice during class because I was nervous after the vet's office and petstore incidents. It just wasn't enough, I guess. I only took my eyes off him to talk to the instructor, which was a big mistake, I guess.

·
Registered
789 Posts
If it was my dog, I would try Skylar's suggestions plus the belly and in class, but also get the neuter scheduled in a month.
That way, if management techniques do work, you could reschedule later. And if they don't, I feel like 4 months earlier isn't going to have a hugely significant impact.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I did exactly that. Belly-bands in class and anywhere new I took him inside. His neuter is happening today as the vet checked his joints via x-ray and said his growth plates were closed and it was appropriate to fix him. While I was signing a form in the waiting room, he cheerily lifted his leg on a chair. It is definitely Time.

Thank you for all the advice!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Good luck with the neutering. Hope it resolves the inappropriate pee marking.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
Wishing you both an uneventful recovery. FYI, your vet may have mentioned this but jic, it can take about 6 weeks for the majority of the hormones to clear out of his system.

Reactions: Tulsi

·
Premium Member
25,362 Posts
In the humane hierarchy a problem that is new should first be responded to with a health check, so I would get a urine sample and have it checked. However this does not necessarily strike me as health but more an age related behavior. I would say if he wasn't lifting his leg and just urinating as if he couldn't resist the urge to go then higher probability of medical. If you train on not allowing it to happen (and 3 times does not fix a behavior, meaning doesn't make it deeply ingrained) you can probably wait to neuter. Javelin is intact and would never dream of marking inside anywhere for any reason. I scooped him up once or twice when he thought about marking and that was enough to make him understand not to urinate even just to squirt a mark. On the other hand your boy can probably be neutered with no significant adverse consequences.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts