Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby is 5.5 months old. her appt for her spay is Next Thursday and I worried that she might be coming into heat, she has some odd behaviour that may be normal but I just haven't see her do it before. Or it may be that she is coming into heat.

She is starting to pee every few feet on walks, she doesn't do this at home or anywhere else just on walks.

She is wanting to lift her leg against trees, hydrants etc etc....She hasn't quite figured out that she isn't a boy I guess lol.

She is really starting to try and hump my male dog, though this is most likley dominance.

She in the past few days started growling at my 6 year old. Now said 6 year old bugs her when she is sleeping etc etc..I don't allow her to do it but I can't watch my kidlet every second of every day.

I am worried that she will go into heat before her spay, I booked the appt as soon as they would do her which is next week, but I also know they will refuse the spay if she is in heat. I am taking her first day home off as teh daycare kids are more likely to be a stress and when they return Monday she should be in a better state. If she does go into heat and refuse they refuse to spay her at that time, my poor male dog will go insane, he is fixed and ahs been right from 6 months but when he is around my aunts unfixed westie he goes crazy when she is in heat and he torments Kenzie.....
Is there a way to know for sure if she is entering her first cycle? Is there a way to stop it if she is?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
no way to stop it if she is and those do sound a bit like things some of my dogs do when they are comming in. It could be a more pushy personality though, I have a girl who does the lift the leg thing all the time and humps all the boys if she feels the urge lol.

I would say check her vulva and see if it looks swollen. When they go into heat it swells, sometimes it can get quite large. You will see sings of swelling well ahead of actual bleeding most of the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's a baby....my baby lol. No she isn't swollen at all, it was teh first thing i looked for and all seems normal in that area. I'm so not ready for her to be a "big girl" I have never had a female dog go into heat before a spay and am hoping and praying that she isn't also.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
LOL, I would not worry so much about it lol, I am sure she is fine. Those do sound like signs but they also just sound like she is coming of age....Even after she is spayed though, she may still exhibit the behavior Tynk does. She would follow Zoey around the yard while she was in season and pee on every piddle she made LOL! She tried to hump her constantly and she will pee while walking. She is 18 mo and has been spayed since 7 months, so, she may keep doing it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
She is a bit young for coming into her first season, although it is not unheard of. Her actions sound a lot like she is maturing and beginning to act like a "bigger" girl. lol. I have had/seen spayed females do the same things your girl is doing. It is just a "dog thing" and a lot of times you will find that a more dominant attitude female will behave like that even after being spayed.

I would say you should be fine with getting her spayed, if she were coming into heat, her vulva would start to swell. Hope everything goes well with her spay. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts