Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to go see our pup this weekend at a dog show. I'm very excited! Anyway, I'm a bit nervous of introducing our dog to our puppy. Sometimes neutral ground works best for her, sometimes it doesn't. We'll see how it goes. Any tips/advice in introducing them for the first time? I'll also post pics of our new boy after Sunday :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
How does you dog do w/ other dogs? If he is fine w/ them I really wouldn't worry. Anytime there is a new animal in my home, I carefully supervise introductions and I limit the amount of time the animals are together for a while. I always make sure they have their own spots that they can retreat to. I think neutral ground is a little overhyped, unless the resident animal is territorial. JMO and as long as you are careful about disease, I guess it doesn't hurt to introduce them on neutral ground.

I'm so excited you get to see your pup and go to a dog show. When do you bring your pup home?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are looking at bringing him home between the 29th and 31st, depending on what we work out with the breeder. Midge has all kinds of different reactions to dogs, which is why I'm nervous. My husband's cousin has a Papillon, and she stayed with them while we were waiting on our house to be ready, she LOVES Snoopy. My parents have a Basset, she LOVES Suzy. My brother has an Australian Shepherd, they get along, but grudgingly :lol: It takes her a little while to warm up to another dog, and as long as the other dog isn't overly nosy about getting to know her it happens pretty quickly. She doesn't like a dog who barks at her or goes straight for her butt, she's a big weird :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Its great to be getting a new pup, congrats Tina. I had to introduce a pup to my 9yr old alpha bitch and was I worried. We met on neutral ground and after that I tried to interfere as little as possible. The pup (Willow) knew everything she needed to win over Phoenix, and basically, survive. Each day she would fall asleep closer and closer to Phoenix and after probably day 3 you would think Willow had been with us forever!! Trust yourself and your girl, shes been brought up with love.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I can understand why you'd be nervous, but I'll think you'll be fine w/ a puppy. Harley does fine w/ other dogs for the most part, but if he's pushed, he wants to push back. Most importantly, he listens when I tell him to stop. He flipped my uncle's lab puppy one time. (It was seriously like a Kung Fu move, Harley hooked his leg under Zeke's and flipped him on his back in the blink of an eye.) Zeke was jumping on Harley's back and not paying attention to my uncle who was trying to get him to calm down. Zeke was stunned for a few seconds, but not hurt and didn't learn much. My uncle had to put him outside. My brother's dog hates Harley w/ a passion, the second he catches sight or scent of him his hackles go up. Harley seems confused by the behavior more than anything else. They've never been allowed to interact directly b/c of Hawg's behavior; there is always a crate, fence or door between them. While you're waiting to get your pup, it wouldn't hurt to work some on obedience.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'm sure she will be fine with a puppy too, but I'm a nervous Nellie about these things :lol: I'm actually more afraid that my 2 year old will manhandle him than anything else :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Remember that dogs can sense and feed off your own emotions/state of mind!!! Shake off the nerves and be CONFIDENT that everything will be fine!! You'll be in a better place and so will she!! Good luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts