Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my neighbor's baby mini poodle was attacked by a pit :(

I was about to cut my dad's hair in our courtyard when I heard the most horrendous sounds ever. I thought a dog or child was hit by a car. I ran out to investigate. I found my neighbor friend with her two mini poodles standing in front of my next door neighbor's house, and her hands were covered in blood. A young woman was yelling at her to get off of her property, while she and another young woman were immediately putting a Chi mix and pit back in the house.

My friend was simply walking her two dogs on leash on the street and the pit and Chi charged and the pit attacked her 4 mo. old puppy. The puppy was making some weird motions with his mouth and was out of it. I said we needed to get to a vet right away. I called the ER vet and told them we were on the way. The puppy was making crackling sounds like the lungs had collapsed, and his gums were gray. They took him in calmly, but rapidly, and got him properly assessed.

His lungs were completely punctured and full of contusions. Thank God he has no broken bones or major cuts on his body. The vet thinks his prognosis is excellent. He is in an oxygen chamber and getting fluids and other supportive care for a few days.

Please pray or send positive thoughts for him! He is literally the most adorable and sweet apricot mini poodle I've ever seen. His name is Jerry.

His vet bills are estimated between $4,500 and $6,600. Quite a liability for the owner of the pit.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
OMG, this is so devastating and scary to read. I hope the poor puppy is okay and not physically or psychologically damaged from this traumatic attack. I also hope the Pitt bull’s owner pays for the vet bills and puts this dog to sleep.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
This is awful and so scary ! I hope the puppy recovers fast and doesn’t have trauma from this attack.

I hope the pitpul gets euthanized, and that his owner understands what she’s done by choosing such a breed. And I hope she pays every cent of the vet bill.

When will people understand that these dogs should not be kept as pets ? :-(

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Oh Gawd! How very sad. I hope the little poodlen will recover like the vet thinks he will. That is just so terribly irresponsible of the owners. They need to really be held accountable. I sure hope the little pup will be able to recover also emotionally. What a toll that can take. I don't like dogs that attack other dogs as if they're prey or for any reason. And I dislike their owners even more. And it's weird that this just happened to happen right after talking about pit bulls and how hated they are. Truthfully, if I see one and I'm walking my poodles, (I've only seen them on leashes) I still pick up my dogs and cross the street. I am also extremely cautious if I see any bigger dog in my path. I either cross the road ahead of time or pick them up, watching very closely. My breeder use to tell me at dogs shows when I'd walk past any bigger dog, "Pick him up!" My heart goes out to your neighbor. Hope the little pup will recover.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I hope the pitpul gets euthanized, and that his owner understands what she’s done by choosing such a breed. And I hope she pays every cent of the vet bill.
The problem is not everyone who owns such a type of breed has any problem with their dog. I've known several that were really nice, sweet dogs and that's why it's not black and white to me, across the board of this type of dog.

I would want the woman to understand what she's done by letting go of the leash. Or by not keeping a muzzle on her dog if he's shown aggression before toward other dogs. She should definitely be seriously punished and have to pay. I think besides the vet bills, the woman needs to be sued to pay for behavioral help for this woman and her dog and anything else the judge would see that would be fair.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
This is so awful and scary to read. What happened is my worst nightmare for my little ones. I agree the pit should be put down. I bet the poodle mom will have to Sue the pit woman for the vet bills. People like that like to build up a story to justify their dog’s behavior. They just don’t see how dangerous their dog is.

Was he taken away by animal control today? Here, when a dog bites a person or attacks a pet, animal control picks them right up and does a 10 day quarantine. The owners then have to get attorneys and go before a judge to determine what happens to the attacking dog. I really hope the poodle mom gets justice for what happened to her baby.

I’ll definitely pray for the little one and mom. They are both really traumatized I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!

Jerry is doing much better!! And, the mother of the pit owner is going to pay the vet bill in full. I'm not sure if she's doing anything extra, as it is between my neighbor and her.

I would want the woman to understand what she's done by letting go of the leash. Or by not keeping a muzzle on her dog if he's shown aggression before toward other dogs. She should definitely be seriously punished and have to pay. I think besides the vet bills, the woman needs to be sued to pay for behavioral help for this woman and her dog and anything else the judge would see that would be fair.
The pit was not on a leash! It was just free roaming on my next door neighbor's property! It could have attacked Zooey if I had decided to walk her this morning on leash!

I 100% agree that the woman should pay for counseling and behavioral help for the dog on top of the vet bill.

This is so awful and scary to read. What happened is my worst nightmare for my little ones. I agree the pit should be put down. I bet the poodle mom will have to Sue the pit woman for the vet bills. People like that like to build up a story to justify their dog’s behavior. They just don’t see how dangerous their dog is.

Was he taken away by animal control today? Here, when a dog bites a person or attacks a pet, animal control picks them right up and does a 10 day quarantine. The owners then have to get attorneys and go before a judge to determine what happens to the attacking dog. I really hope the poodle mom gets justice for what happened to her baby.

I’ll definitely pray for the little one and mom. They are both really traumatized I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jojo, I hope the pit was taken away, but I have a sinking feeling that the young girl owner took him back to So Cal, where she lives, to escape him being quarantined. But, I'm not sure. I'll let you know if I get an update on that. And I also completely agree the dog should be destroyed.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Oh wow! She could have avoided this had she kept the dog muzzled and/or on a leash. How very negligent and so awful.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Thanks for the update on little Jerrypup. I hope his recovery and his family's is soon and full. What a traumatic thing to go thru, for all of you. How lucky that you were there to take charge for them.

It's good to know that the owners mother will step in and at least cover the medical bills, but why not her daughter? You mentioned she's young. Is she a minor? The legal owner of the attacking dog?

This was a lethal attack, the dog should be declared dangerous legally, if that's possible in your area. The public, wherever she and the dog are, have the right to know of the danger. Surely animal control or the police have some authority?

This is a fear that surfaces every time I see an owner being dragged along by their large, agitated dogs (why are there always two?).

·
Registered
596 Posts
One of my worst nightmares as well! I am so sorry this happened in your neighborhood. Please don't walk passed that house ever again - the likelihood of this happening again is so huge! It happens so fast and I nearly escaped this very scenario several times by now. It is always with my dogs on leash and the pits just charging (one time it was an American Bulldog = pit on steroids about 80 pounds worth). That last time could have ended with me in the hospital since I was a menacing loon stomping and screaming and stepping between the pair of charging American Bulldogs and my dogs on a public trail that neighbored their unfenced property. For some reason I was scary enough that both of them stopped and backed off - circling us for what felt like an hour (but was probably only 15 minutes). Some of the scariest minutes of my life. I did this while holding on to two dogs (100 pounds between them) One rearing to defend me - the other cowing and shaking for fear (since he had been attacked before). If I had not acted the way I did - I am 100% certain someone would have died - probably my Dalmatian at the mercy of those two attacking dogs. The owner ran out of her house - which made the older dog stop harassing us - the other one could not be recalled (for an hour) and went from circling us to attacking a jogger.. to then attacking us again when we had to pass the house again to get back to our car. Horrible day all around but we all survived so maybe good day! This sure brings back the memories...

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Oh MF how awful. The is so traumatizing for the poodle and the owner. I don't like the you heard someone yelling get off my property...as I bet the owner of the pitt must have said that to set herself up against a law suite. I think every owner of a pitt should need a special license to own them along with liability insurance. Now I pet sit for two and they are human sweet but I don't trust totally trust and I will not walk them for the owner. What I don't understand is if one owns a dog why let it off leash in your front yard ever?? I do have another neighbor that was up to 4 dogs and the big pitt (who is all pitt) is often off leash on their front yard, though supervised. They say he is sweet and well trained...I don't walk now because of it. It only take 1x and you can never be sure of what triggers a dog (any dog) to bite or even to just run toward another. I hope the little poodle will be ok and the owner too and I would have a police report made immediately.

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is so sad. Thank you, MF, for being there and helping to move things along in the right direction. Dog attacks are so traumatizing, I have no doubt poor Jerry made it to veterinary care faster with your direction and clear thinking. I hope Jerry's owner has the resources to fully pursue justice. My heart goes out to both of them.

This should NEVER have happened. It is a crime.

Am I correct in understanding that the dog does not actually live in the neighborhood, but was visiting a relative's house? You will have no way of knowing if the dog ever returns. The next few weeks are probably your last to be able to walk your dogs and feel pretty certain that the dog is not next door. I'd be worried over Thanksgiving/Christmas that it would come back for a visit. Also, after about 6 months people "get over" the fact that their dog attacked another and begin their old ways again. It is human nature. This is why I'm convinced that pursuing justice as fully as resources allow is the best path for peace of mind.

Guess what I would do if my toy poodle mix or my pug got out of the house and injured my neighbor's puppy to this extent? I would euthanize them. (And pay vet bills, apologize to my neighbor, etc.) THAT is what a proper response looks like. Not spiriting the dog away to another location and paying vet bills. That is a half-assed response that does not take full responsibility.

[apologies to Navy and Spanky, who have never threatened anyone's life]

·
Premium Member
23,199 Posts
How horrible! Additionally to liability insurance I think that people who rescue bully breed dogs should have to take a handling class to be able to adopt.

MF I am sure you know how at risk both the owner and the puppy are at risk for PTSD, I hope you will be able to get them to seek help from professionals.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's good to know that the owners mother will step in and at least cover the medical bills, but why not her daughter? You mentioned she's young. Is she a minor? The legal owner of the attacking dog?

This was a lethal attack, the dog should be declared dangerous legally, if that's possible in your area. The public, wherever she and the dog are, have the right to know of the danger. Surely animal control or the police have some authority?

This is a fear that surfaces every time I see an owner being dragged along by their large, agitated dogs (why are there always two?).
Rose, I would guestimate that the owner was around 20--definitely not capable of paying the vet bill. That is why when I was that age, I didn't have a dog. I had to wait until I was in my 30s and responsible enough and financially stable enough to own one. But you know, millennials. Entitled. Not all of them of course, but as a generation.

I am 100% certain someone would have died - probably my Dalmatian at the mercy of those two attacking dogs. The owner ran out of her house - which made the older dog stop harassing us - the other one could not be recalled (for an hour) and went from circling us to attacking a jogger.. to then attacking us again when we had to pass the house again to get back to our car. Horrible day all around but we all survived so maybe good day! This sure brings back the memories...
Moni, that is so horrifying! It truly sounds like a scary horror film. I'm so sorry that happened to you and your dogs. Thank God you were all okay!!!

I don't like the you heard someone yelling get off my property...as I bet the owner of the pitt must have said that to set herself up against a law suite. I think every owner of a pitt should need a special license to own them along with liability insurance.

I hope the little poodle will be ok and the owner too and I would have a police report made immediately.
I was disgusted by the "Get off my property!" Especially since this is a young woman of the girlfriend who lives with the owner of the property. And yes, if people are going to be dumb enough to own these dogs, they def. need liability insurance.

I called the police from the ER vet's office and was transferred to animal control. They asked for my neighbor's contact info and the address of the attack, and they were to follow up with her. It is out of my hands, as the incident did not involve me or my dogs.

Am I correct in understanding that the dog does not actually live in the neighborhood, but was visiting a relative's house? You will have no way of knowing if the dog ever returns.
Yes, you are correct. My dad and I are going to talk to the owner of the house and ensure that the dog either does not come visit ever again or is properly secured. Maybe I should buy a break stick also? Or a gun? If I want to go walking my dogs in my neighborhood.

How horrible! Additionally to liability insurance I think that people who rescue bully breed dogs should have to take a handling class to be able to adopt.

MF I am sure you know how at risk both the owner and the puppy are at risk for PTSD, I hope you will be able to get them to seek help from professionals.
Absolutely they should have to take a class on top of getting liability insurance. And maybe a mental status exam on why they would get a pit.

Yes, I will give my neighbor friend referrals if she needs them.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts