Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I made a mistake. After adopting Leeroy about 2 weeks ago, I thought it would be fun to have him play with the hyper, 3 year old dog across the street. She's some kind of short haired sled dog (not a husky). Anyway it's a yard that has ample run room and dirt... So he comes home happy, but filthy and hyper every day. I thought the exercise would be good as we're homebodies... But I am kind of regretting it, as much as he really has fun going over there.

Now when I walk him, if the neighbor dog (Luna) is out, that's the end of it. He becomes completely wild on the leash. If she's outside and he's not, he can hear her because she barks at everything that goes by. So then Leeroy is all over me and whines until she goes back inside which can be more than an hour. And the neighbor lets her out in the yard several times a day.

So after him getting muddy and way too hyper yesterday, I had to take him for a much earlier walk this morning to avoid seeing Luna on the way home, and now she's out and he's pacing around in the house and whining. He's not easy to distract when he's determined. Not training, a Kong, toys.. nothing.

I don't really know how to handle this situation :-(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
If you can persuade Luna's owner I would try shared walks - no play, but time to sniff the same things and enjoy each other's company. Walks are companionable, but much less exciting than free play. That does presuppose, of course, that Luna has no bad habits to pass on to Leeroy, like barking at other dogs!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can persuade Luna's owner I would try shared walks - no play, but time to sniff the same things and enjoy each other's company. Walks are companionable, but much less exciting than free play. That does presuppose, of course, that Luna has no bad habits to pass on to Leeroy, like barking at other dogs!
The problem is he is a retired gentleman who didn't train her. So she jumps and barks like mad when she's excited. Especially when she sees anyone that she has played with.

I might try seeing if we can do shared walks. The issue is he kind of goes when he goes and we do the same thing. But I'll see if that might work. They both might be nuts even on leads though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... and yes she barks at other dogs. And cars. And people. No matter how many times she sees them. She is very spirited.

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
I think in that case I would limit time spent with her - that sort of bad habit can be highly infectious!

Reactions: meljen

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think in that case I would limit time spent with her - that sort of bad habit can be highly infectious!
Yeah. Maybe a once a week joint walk or something. I'll talk to the neighbor.

Leeroy has been acting like a toddler all morning since he saw Luna out lol. *Sigh* ... She's even gone inside and he's still giving me the eyes and won't hardly get out of the window.

·
Premium Member
22,958 Posts
I agree with fjm and as to his infatuation I think it should fade since it hasn't been all that long. Do keep working on trying to get his attention back to you.

Reactions: meljen

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with fjm and as to his infatuation I think it should fade since it hasn't been all that long. Do keep working on trying to get his attention back to you.
Thanks. I closed the blinds and I'm trying to ignore his behavior. Because she was out again and now he won't even go to the bathroom he just runs to the gate and fusses.

I'll go talk to the neighbor. I'm not going to ask him to have her out less but I'll explain that the free play was a bad idea on my part and that maybe we could do a once a week walk. Maybe we could exchange text numbers so we can coordinate.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts