Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neely just finished his AKC Versatility title today.

Not every trial offers the optional class, but I think it is a much-overlooked opportunity to explore upper levels of obedience. Entry is open to "all dogs" and teams may continue to compete in Versatility indefinitely after titling.

The class has no less than 12 orders of exercises the judge may choose from. The first two exercises are from Novice, the second two are from Open, and the last two are from Utility. There are no group exercises, and there weren't any before the recent rule changes.

It's a bit of a crap-shoot as to whether you'll get a selection of exercises you and your dog can handle, but we were able to do it for our third leg today, with Order 2: Heel on leash and Figure 8, Recall, Retrieve on Flat, Broad Jump, Moving Stand for Exam, and Directed Retrieve (glove).

The second picture shows Neely looking up, trying to bite the ribbon the judge is holding. :D

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Wow, very impressive - congratulations.

Reactions: mvhplank

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Congratulations. Bill Craig is a super nice judge. I have shown to him with Lily and I stewarded for him recently too. I also see him at some of the seminars and workshops I attend, so he is really very up to date and actively shows as well as judging. I was at a workshop he was part of last spring. One of the days I worked Javelin in the ring during the lunch break. After I had finished I was talking to Bill and a couple of the other people there. He gave me some very nice words about Javelin that I hold onto at those moments where he is doing crazy boy stuff.

Reactions: mvhplank

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations. Bill Craig is a super nice judge. I have shown to him with Lily and I stewarded for him recently too. I also see him at some of the seminars and workshops I attend, so he is really very up to date and actively shows as well as judging. I was at a workshop he was part of last spring. One of the days I worked Javelin in the ring during the lunch break. After I had finished I was talking to Bill and a couple of the other people there. He gave me some very nice words about Javelin that I hold onto at those moments where he is doing crazy boy stuff.
I really liked Mr. Craig. We had him both days for Preferred Utility (no joy there) and Versatility (titling Q on second day). He kept things rolling, but always seemed to be in good humor.

I had never shown to him before in my limited career, but since he's from Massachusetts, I understand why you might run into him more frequently. I'm going to put him on my "good judge" list. :)

Reactions: lily cd re
1 - 9 of 9 Posts