Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the vet with Walter Grey without my poodle gang and had to listen to woman ramble on about her Yorkie poo and how it has bad poodle hair and is impossible to keep Matt free. Mind you she also told me dog always wears sweaters. My advice on regularly removing the sweater for a quick comb out fell on deaf ears.
Oi
Poodles and poodle mixes need daily grooming if wearing clothing.
Regular grooming is so necessary, hence the high maintenance blurbs I see everywhere when looking at poodles.
Okay I am off my soapbox please continue about your day.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
If I kept a knit hat on all day, every day, my scalp would be a MESS. Ouch.

I see people blaming the "poodle part" of their dogs for all sorts of things. It's always the poodle's fault. I don't get it. They clearly haven't taken the time to research the breed or develop any respect for its unique wonderfulness (and yes, that includes some unique requirements from a responsible ownership standpoint).

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
So true, poodles get such a bad rap. What’s so funny is the doodle breeders seem to have settled on a formula of 75% poodle, 25% other, so these dogs are in large part, poodles.

When I meet someone with a doodle, I often steer the conversation in a direction of the % of poodle in their dog, and then just matter of factly remark on the lovely poodle traits the dog has. Like, “what beautiful eyes she has, they’re shaped just like a poodle’s....look at that happy, springy gait, just like a poodle”. Maybe a little passive aggressive, lol, but just can’t help myself!
I’ve actually met some nice doodles, and one I met most recently came from a breeder who did health testing on the parents, according to the buyer at least. She is a nice dog, with a great temperament, but she is not my Gracie, who is a beautiful well- bred poodle. The difference to me was striking, and makes me appreciate the work and effort that went into Gracie’s background.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
My mom is super sweet, making friends wherever she goes, but I've definitely noticed her getting a little more blunt in her senior years. She's also really come around to the magic of poodles.

We were at a garden store with Peggy over Christmas and a woman approached to tell me her daughter has allergies and so had recently gotten a doodle.

"Well, she should have gotten a poodle then," said my mom.

? Awkwarrrrrd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts