Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first time posting here. I use to show another breed years ago and even finished a couple back in the 90's when I was showing. over the years due to life stuff I got out of showing and the dog world in general. Its been about 4 years since my last dog passed and think its 4 years to long.

I told myself the next time I get a dog its going to be a non shedding breed that is easy to train and likes to do things like obedience and show. So it didnt take me long to get here. Just from going to shows, talking to folks in the business, I, like most believe that standards are close to perfect. So now that its settled on the breed my question is..........

can a newbie to standards break into the hard core hadler world of showing standards? I always owner handle, and always will. I did pretty well back in the day when I was showing, but never did standards. Is it just crazy to think I can compete? Stick to trying obedience? Or does hard work and dedication count? I love to show, but to be honest it seems like the worst breed to owner handle in. Any advice????

Ok, now for second question.........lol Male or female for first time standard?

*grabs popcorn*

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would never in a million years recommend that someone get a Standard Poodle as an owner handled conformation dog.

It is tremendously hard to grow and maintain a Standard Poodle show coat. Outside of the ring, you will spend hours a week washing, drying, brushing and banding. You will need $$$ of equipment. The scissoring on a Standard Poodle is extensive and requires high level skills and a very good eye.

Once in the ring, Standards require pretty specialized handling. The judge will want to see them be beautifully hand stacked but at the same time they should free stack nicely as well. The expectations for movement and carriage can be extreme.

The reward for those who can put it all together is that good Standard Poodles are very competitive in the Group ring.

I personally would love to find another breed that I could play with in the conformation ring. The problem I have is that all other breeds fall short in my eyes or have issues that would keep me from owning them. For me, nothing can compare to the Poodle.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I agree with all of Cbrand's comments!!

About the scissoring...I have been grooming Poodles for 42 years to some degree or another, and if I show my new boy, I WILL NOT be doing the scissor work. A professional will put him into pattern if need be, and I will keep it up with the clipper work, and poms, but will NOT lay my scissors on his jacket. Things have changed a ton over the years, and the shows clips have become so intricate and specialized, I would not dare touch that myself!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thats kind of harsh tbh. I was hoping for some words of encouragement, but sounds like everything that fellow dog people warned me about is true.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Okay I have to say this, I have my first Standard Poodle, love her, but (didn't want a "but" but its unavoidable) my other dogs are Chinese Cresteds. I have 8, rescues and show. Cresteds are incredible dogs, showy, intelligent, fun, don't shed, characters. Just saying you might take a look into Cresteds. Have a Crested for conformation and a Spoo for additional fun / obedience / agility... if you are at all interested take a look at Chinese Crested Crush :: Chinese Crested Dog Forum a Crested forum with lots of good info about the breed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm sorry all the comments have been somewhat discouraging. The truth about showing standards IS that if you want to be able to compete...you need to learn the ropes. It is a highly political field to get into but there ARE owner handlers that have been very successful (just few and far between). Don't discourage yourself because of this just know that they are probably one of, if not the hardest breed to finish and compete with. I have shown my own and have successfully put several points on mine. Who knows..I may have been able to put on my majors but I'll never know because I sent her off to handler because I was pregnant and coudn't run anymore lol! You need to learn and study carefully the art of scissoring the coat and I would HIGHLY suggest you try to find someone that would be willing to be a great mentor for you. Aside from handling, coat care is ridiculously time consuming and crucial to determining how competetive you are.
I love to show my dogs because it is fun for me...not necessarily because I have to win or I'm not happy. If you are a first timer and wanting to get into it...I would suggest it only if you have this type of attitude. There is so much to learn and you have to be willing to go through trial and error and be okay with it. Many people I would say don't have the backbone to handle showing standards. If you do...well then sky's the limit! Good luck to you and I'm always willing to try and help with any questions you may have :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
One other avenue you may want to consider is UKC shows. There you can show your Poodle without all that coat. Since you have been out of the ring for a while maybe UKC would be a good place to "re"start. I've shown AKC for 18 years (not Poodles)...it can be very political depending on the breed and you will find politics at shows no matter what breed you have. Two years ago I tried UKC and found it to be a very fun atmosphere to show my dogs. Now, I show both UKC & AKC. If you are set on showing in AKC the biggest thing is do it because you LOVE it. Find a great breeder that is willing to mentor you and help you along the way. Buy the BEST dog you possibly can. It costs the same to care for a great dog as it does a bad one, but remeber, nobody wins all the time. Don't let anyone tell you its "impossible" or "can't be done". The Wright brothers were told the same thing. It all depends on how dedicated you really want to be.

jm2cw

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Buy the BEST dog you possibly can. It costs the same to care for a great dog as it does a bad one, but remeber, nobody wins all the time.
Truer words were never said! The biggest mistake newbie show owners make is getting a poor quality dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts