Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd hate to start a new thread about something that may have been posted before but I need some home grooming advice ^_^

Today we were supposed to take Elphaba in for her grooming and I had her all ready she was brushed out and I'd blown her out and she looked like a lovely doodle with her face all over grown and what not :]
when I get a call from the groomers saying that they were over booked and that they didn't have time to groom a poodle today that they'd gladly reschedule for next week...
normally I wouldn't have had an issue with this...I'm a pretty kind fellow I think >.> except this is the third time I've had to reschedule due to an issue on their part so I told them off very gently and I decided I'll just groom her myself!!

so lol XD my questions

Clippers: Do I need 2 sets of them? like one set for her face and feet and another set for her body?
Which brand should I go with? ((I'd like to get something that will last me a while)) I know its personal preference with that question I was just curious about lifespan of the clippers

Grooming Tables: I could have my dad build me one, but would it be easier to just buy one?

I just bought new combs, and brushes last week along with this gigantic thing of shampoo so I'm set on all of that
if theres anything else I need to buy or need to know about doing grooms on her myself please let me know :]]]

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Three times? Are you serious? And you're booking a week in advanced? That's really lame of them. I think you're right in not wanting to take your business there. No, you don't need two sets of clippers, especially if you have ones with switchable blades like I do. I'll take a picture of my equipment today for you to see, I think a list can be a little overwhelming, so seeing it might be more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah 3 times
I usually schedule Elphie to get groomed every 7 weeks
but on the 7th week mark I was called and it was rescheduled for the next week
then the last time she called it was scheduled for 2.5 weeks in advance v.v;
so Elphie hasn't been groomed in forever and looks like an awful doodle mix XD

oh ok thank you so much Fluffy :D

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh and I forgot to mention books and videos
I've been googling my brains out trying to find books on grooming poodles
any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Shirlee Kalstone's Complete Poodle Clipping and Grooming
A must have!! :) It's the best.

As far as clippers, I just bought a nice little set from Petco.com that included clippers with a #10 blade, four guide combs and oil in a little case (which is super awkward and annoying, so I don't recommend getting the one with the "convenient hard plastic carrying case" ). It's a decent clipper though and pretty cheap (I think it was $120 or less), it's an Andis Pro single speed. I recommend getting one with a detachable blade as well, it's very convenient.

Good luck! Sorry your groomer was so rotten, that's so rude for them to do that to you THREE times!! ):

·
Registered
741 Posts
i think your best bet is to find a diffrent groomer to groom her asap and then that gives you more time to sort out all the stuff you need for a poodle groom..

you will need

a sturdy table
a hv dryer
a good set of clippers.. i recommend andis 2 speed
i would say a 10 or 15 blade more than one if possible as the blades get hot to do the face feet and tail
the lenght of the other blades that u will need for the body depends on how long or short you would like her...

shirley kalstone book would be the best

brushes u would need is a
slicker
a good metal comb
and possibly a matt breaker

you will need a good pair of staight scissors about 8 inches is a good size for a standard.

i hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Sorry Keith.. I forgot, rofl. xD I'll be going in on thursday to a puppy class, I'll make a note to put it up! But newpoodlemum seemed to have summed it up!

You'll also need cottonballs, ear cleaner, and ear powder to get her ear hair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Keith - if you have an active craigslist community, you may be able to find tables and dryers on there much cheaper than buying them new.

My grooming must haves:
-greyhound comb
-gentle small slicker brush (used for small mats)
-good quality pin brush (#1 All Systems makes the best sized brushes for my hands)
-detangling spray (I use dilluted Coat Handler in a spray bottle)
-HV stand dryer
-force dryer
-8" curved and straigh shears
-Andis two speed clippers
-#40, #30, #3 3/4 blades
-ear cleaner
-q-tips
-dremmel rotary tool (for nails)
-ear powder
-hemostats (for removing stubborn ear hair)
-Oster bathing system (for me - cause I"m spoiled)
-Good quality shampoo/conditioner (what I'm using depends on the dog)

With these items, I can groom my parent's Standard in a decent pet trim or get my baby ready for a show.

Give yourself time and practice with your equipment - if you give a bad haircut, it always grows back.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm just gonna chime in real quick... You don't NEED an HV dryer, and you certainly don't need a stand dryer. Those are crazy expensive and a bit of a luxury in my opinion. Don't worry about them at this point, you're just starting out to groom her, really, you don't need one yet. I've been grooming Desmond for a year, I just use a hand held human hair dryer and brush him out while we dry. It's easy and, though a long process, really not that bad. Kinda fun if you have music playing. :) I sing to Desmond while we dry haha.
My advice, just focus on the basics for now. Clippers with a detachable 10 blade (don't bother with the other blades, especially shorter ones like 30s, learn to use the 10 very well first), brushes (slicker, pin, comb), shampoo, conditioner if you want, a detangling spray, nail cilppers, and ear cleaner & powder. Oh, and scissors. :) I just use barber scissors from a Sally's Beauty Supply store, they need to be straight and fairly long, is all.

Basically, I say don't worry about the "big" and expensive stuff yet. Grooming tables, HV dryers, stand dryers, bathing systems, 20 different blades, etc.. you don't need ALL of that to give your poodle a simple hair cut at home. I use my kitchen table as a grooming table, you don't need to drop $200 just for a table if you already have one that works. I find a lot of this "necessary" grooming stuff to be over priced and luxurious, it's certainly possible and fairly easy to get by without spending $600 to groom one poodle at home.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I showed my dad a few grooming tables on pet edge and he said he could build me something alot like that, ((minus the hydraulics v.v;...not as crafty as he though >:O )) but it will be something sturdy but easy enough to take outside and use during the warmer months ^_^
and during the colder months keep it in the laundry room :]

and I have a dremel and a shop vac that I got a lowes :D
so I figured the only really expensive thing I need are clippers and the grooming table

and I'd use my kitchen table...but my mom would probably murder me... v.v;
we aren't allowed to pet our dogs in the kitchen, and heaven forbid we were to pick the cat up above waist level in there O.O
shes a crazy one but I've lived with her this long so I've gotten use to the insanity

·
Registered
178 Posts
As for the table. Go to lowes, menards, etc. and buy folding banquet table legs for $20. Cut a 3/4 inch plywood or MDF ( don't get a thinner piece it will sag and make the dog feel unstable) 3ft*2 ft. Round the corners if possible. If you wish finish with some waterproof material (I use hammertone paint) and place a large bath mat on top for traction. Happy Grooming!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
as far as expensive dryers... I agree with other posters about using a human dryer until you feel like making the huge investment of a HV one, just make sure you have a cool or warm setting, they can get awfully hot if you're not carefull!
... I actually just ordered this clamp thing
from petedge to use with my hair dryer so I can brush and dry more easily at the same time.... til now my 14yr old daughter has often held the dryer for me while I brushed, this way I can do it more on my own! I hope it works! I figured for $20, can't really go wrong!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I bought a small shop vac last week and am going to take it back today. I find the human hair dryer works better. Mine has a Cool button and I get a quicker fluffier dry by alternating between heat and cool as I brush (more cool than heat). The shop vac blows out tons of air but it never got a bit warm and so the drying time was actually much longer. And Jackson hated the noise of the shop vac.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
A high volume dryer is expensive, but IMHO it is money well spent. It drys a dog super fast and it gets their coat nice and straight for clipping and scissoring. In between grooms it can be used to blow dust and dirt out of the coat. A human hairdryer just takes so gal darn long to dry and dog and it often gets too hot.

Another thing to consider..... where are you going to be doing all this grooming. When you clip and scissor, that Poodle hair gets everywhere. It even sticks to the walls.

Do you have a dedicated space in which to groom where you can contain and then clean up the mess?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have a dedicated space in which to groom where you can contain and then clean up the mess?
Yeah, I have a place in mind for it ((my mother is a FREAK about our house looking semi immaculate...like one of those homes that has furniture and conveniently placed people so any mess I make I have to clean up v.v; ))

our laundry room is attached to our garage its pretty big we have a set of cabinets that my mom wants out of there which would be the perfect place to set up the table and the floor is tiled so I can just sweep it up
my dad suggested that he could make the table movable so that I can take it outside, or even into the garage for easier hair clean up

so we'll see how the table turns out...if it sucks I'll just buy one of petedge

1 - 15 of 15 Posts