Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

sometimes I’d like to trim Kali’s feet or face between professional grooms. I’m not sure she is ready for me to use the clippers, but maybe a curved ball-tip pair of scissors would help? Any recommendations? Does this sound reasonable?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I know some do but frankly it’s safer with a trimmer.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I agree with Skylar - a clipper is much safer than scissors. Since she has been groomed professionally, she will not be frightened. That said, most dogs do not like to have their feet handled, so hold the foot firmly, but not tightly. If she pulls back (and she will), simply say no and continue to clip. Do be aware that poodles have webbed feet, so you need to angle the clippers so that you do not nick the webbing. This is why I use a 40 blade on the feet - the teeth on a 40 blade are close together and are not likely to nick the webbing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So she has been groomed professionally twice while I’ve had her. The groomer said it took 2 people to get through the groom, they strongly seemed against my taking a clipper to her at this point, when I told them I wanted to do face, feet tail. They recommended I practice touching her feet every day, which I have, both with & without the back end of the vibrating clippers.
Maybe she is frightened in the shop? She can be timid, and there are a lot of small barking dogs at the entrance (in a pen) that belong to the groomer.
I told them I wouldn’t try at home this round, because I do want to follow their advice, but maybe after next groom? Why do you think they would recommend this?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I suspect the reason the groomer did not want you to work on her is because they think you will "give in" when she protests. That's why I suggested you just say "no" and keep working. You have to stay calm but be firm when working with a wiggly puppy (or any dog who is resisting). If you stop as soon as the dog protests, the dog learns to protest!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
One perspective to consider is they want you to bring her in since you're a source of business...

Poodles are high maintenance (as are the owners LOL) and need more routine care then most dogs.

Just try. What we told you to do from day 1 is exactly what they said. Trust us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have done a lot of dog grooming in my lifetime but I must say that any of my Poodles that I have started clipping at 8 or 9 weeks, just their faces to start with, then another day their feet, they have all been very easy. I use a small battery clipper so do not have to worry about a cord getting in the way. I will have to get a picture of my latest pup which I did the face on yesterday. She was the smallest pup in a litter of 12 so as I spent a lot of extra time with her, decided to keep her. She
is just 9 lbs at 9 weeks old but passed her Vet check and is certainly a little live wire.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,352 Posts
I have done a lot of dog grooming in my lifetime but I must say that any of my Poodles that I have started clipping at 8 or 9 weeks, just their faces to start with, then another day their feet, they have all been very easy. I use a small battery clipper so do not have to worry about a cord getting in the way. I will have to get a picture of my latest pup which I did the face on yesterday. She was the smallest pup in a litter of 12 so as I spent a lot of extra time with her, decided to keep her. She
is just 9 lbs at 9 weeks old but passed her Vet check and is certainly a little live wire.
Looking forward to pictures!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking forward to pictures!
Thanks - I will post eventually. She has a scheduled groom in 2 weeks, after that I will schedule 8 weeks out and try in between on my own!
I was also thinking about the other comments- there is definitely truth to all the comments (business, worry that I will enforce bad habits, etc). Will definitely post pictures when I have a go at it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts