Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

So about a two months ago, my mini-poodle Bella, ruptured a disc in her back. I have kept her resting for the past 8 weeks to let that heal as best as possible. She looks like she is in pretty good shape now....BUT I did not take her the groomer during that rest time, nor did I brush her very often. Her fur got matted. Now, we are on quarantine and there is no way for me to get her groomed.

I am going to have to buy a razor and shave her myself. She is matted already. I have never groomed a dog before. I have no idea what to do. Could someone please tell me what kind of Razor to buy. I need something simple and easy to use. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated

FYI, these picture were from better hair days of the past;)

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
A 5 in1 shaver is probably the easiest. Either a Wahl Bravura , Wahl Chromado (this one that I have) or Wahl Arco. If your poodle is matted to the skin you wont need combs but if not the get the Wahl metal combs for a longer length or just get them in advance for the next shave. Plastic doesn’t work well.

If you use combs on a matted to the skin dog it will hurt and it won’t cut well either. If she doesn’t have mats to the skin you might be able to do the shortest 2combs(which you probably would like the results better) . If you can use them make sure your clippers are not set at the shortest length or you will damage your blades.

If you can’t use start at the longest length and go slowly. Watch for areas with loose skin like around armpits and front of upper leg. When going over those area pull the skin tight so you don’t cut it. Don’t dig in but keep in flat. I usually against the direction the hair grows for a nicer finish but if you go with it leaves more hair.

keep checking blades to make sure they don’t get hot. It helps to have a 2Nd set of blades so youcan switch and keep going while one is cooling down but you don’t have to.

Look on YouTube for shavedowns on poodles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts