Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

So about a two months ago, my mini-poodle Bella, ruptured a disc in her back. I have kept her resting for the past 8 weeks to let that heal as best as possible. She looks like she is in pretty good shape now....BUT I did not take her the groomer during that rest time. Her fur got matted. Now, we are on quarantine and there is no way for me to get her groomed.

I am going to have to buy a razor and shave her myself. She is matted already. I have never groomed a dog before. I have no idea what to do. Could someone please tell me what kind of Razor to buy. I need something simple and easy to use. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated

FYI, these picture were from better hair days of the past;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Hello Everyone,

So about a two months ago, my mini-poodle Bella, ruptured a disc in her back. I have kept her resting for the past 8 weeks to let that heal as best as possible. She looks like she is in pretty good shape now....BUT I did not take her the groomer during that rest time. Her fur got matted. Now, we are on quarantine and there is no way for me to get her groomed.

I am going to have to buy a razor and shave her myself. She is matted already. I have never groomed a dog before. I have no idea what to do. Could someone please tell me what kind of Razor to buy. I need something simple and easy to use. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated

FYI, these picture were from better hair days of the past;)

Hi. I am just now getting ready to groom my dogs for the first time. I got the Oster A5 after reading through a lot here in the grooming section. I don’t know how many ch they cost new, but if you don’t want to spend much money on that, on eBay they have these clippers used for about $40. They come with a blade, but I had to buy blades. The one it came with was in poor shape. I’m not sure what blade to use for mats... I would guess a 10. But I know most others can tell you exactly what you need. I found the best deals for blades on Amazon.com.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
For one mini poodle you'll have the easiest and simplest time getting the wahl bravura and a set of metal combs for it (it comes with plastic combs but they are trash). This will be good because you won't need to get different blades. It has a 5 in 1 adjustable blade, and is excellent for doing the face and feet as well.

That said, grooming a matted dog can be quite difficult because it is easy to catch the skin when removing mats. I would caution that if you are doing this, you'll need to use a 10 blade length and go very slowly to be safe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. I am just now getting ready to groom my dogs for the first time. I got the Oster A5 after reading through a lot here in the grooming section. I don’t know how many ch they cost new, but if you don’t want to spend much money on that, on eBay they have these clippers used for about $40. They come with a blade, but I had to buy blades. The one it came with was in poor shape. I’m not sure what blade to use for mats... I would guess a 10. But I know most others can tell you exactly what you need. I found the best deals for blades on Amazon.com.

Good luck!
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For one mini poodle you'll have the easiest and simplest time getting the wahl bravura and a set of metal combs for it (it comes with plastic combs but they are trash). This will be good because you won't need to get different blades. It has a 5 in 1 adjustable blade, and is excellent for doing the face and feet as well.

That said, grooming a matted dog can be quite difficult because it is easy to catch the skin when removing mats. I would caution that if you are doing this, you'll need to use a 10 blade length and go very slowly to be safe.
Thank you for the help, should I wash the dog first given she is already matted and I cant brush her. I do have some metal combs at home, the Chris Christensen brush and poodle comb

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thank you for the help, should I wash the dog first given she is already matted and I cant brush her. I do have some metal combs at home, the Chris Christensen brush and poodle comb
The metal combs for the bravura are different, like attachments that will let you groom longer lengths of fur. But that's good the brushes and poodle comb will help. Groomers I've seen do not wash matted dogs. They take out the mats and then wash. I would shave all matted areas first, then wash, brush out, and blow dry. Then do all the non matted parts and clean up the areas previously trimmed. If you are brushing any areas of longer coat, this will be easier if you use a coat spray like "The Stuff" or Cowboy Magic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The metal combs for the bravura are different, like attachments that will let you groom longer lengths of fur. But that's good the brushes and poodle comb will help. Groomers I've seen do not wash matted dogs. They take out the mats and then wash. I would shave all matted areas first, then wash, brush out, and blow dry. Then do all the non matted parts and clean up the areas previously trimmed. If you are brushing any areas of longer coat, this will be easier if you use a coat spray like "The Stuff" or Cowboy Magic.
Thank you so much for your help! Time to learn something new;)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Are there any mobile groomers who could help? A matted poodle shave down will be a big challenge for a first time groom.

Does your vet have a groomer associated with them? That'd be ideal if that's possible.

Something to be aware of is that clippers don't cut thru mats, they'll just get stuck. You need to get down to ground level and peel away from there, sort of like shearing a sheep. If she's matted pretty much all over, that's about your only option. If the mats are more random, you can try cutting them out - very carefully - then go back over with the clippers. She may not end up looking her very best, but she'll be more comfortable. She's such a lucky girl to have found you!

The clipper investment isn't cheap unless you think of it in terms of future home grooms, or for now, just getting her comfortable again. If you don't think you'll be doing this routinely, you still want to get a good clipper and you can do touch ups in between full grooms.

Jojogal001's suggestion of ebay for the Oster or a similar corded clipper like the Andis AGC2 is a good one. Even new, they're both less expensive less than the Bravura which can be used with or without a cord.

Here's the Bravura

and the steel combs that slip over the cutting blades

The Andis

Sloooow will definitely be necessary. It might take several sessions over a few days. Her skin will likely be sensitive from the matting so that'll make it that much more challenging.

There are videos from well known groomers for regular clips but I wouldn't know who to recommend to view for this.

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
The steel clip on combs are great on well brushed out hair, but will stick in mats - a good workhorse like the Andis AGC or Oster with a 10 blade is probably your best bet, if you cannot find a professional to do it. If you decide to cut mats out look for tutorials on how to slip a comb under the mat and cut above it to avoid tenting and cutting the skin, which is horribly easy to do. Good luck - she will look odd for a few weeks till it begins to grow back, but will be much more comfortable.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don’t bath or brush the coat, just clip it off. Take you time and give your dog plenty of breaks.
I would get a pair of andis or osters as suggested above, they often come with a 10 blade, which is good if you can’t get a 7f through the coat but you should be able to, a 7f blade would be the best blade to clip off a matted coat without getting to close to the skin. I would get a 15 blade for face, feet and sanitary areas. Also if you decide to do your own grooming you can get more blades for those clippers. If you want a longer topknot and ears, (if they don’t have to many matts) invest in a scissor set, curve, straights, thinning scissors. the thinning scissors can be used to discreetly cut out matts from areas like ears and top knot with clipping it all off, if they aren’t to close to the skin. There are some great YouTube vids to learn from. During these times I would take the opportunity to learn to groom.

·
Premium Member
23,404 Posts
When I was on the way to get milk and some other groceries I passed a parking lot where a person was parked near a mobile groomer just as the groomer wearing a mask and gloves took the dog from the person in the car over to the van. Keep in mind that I live on Long Island which is so close to NYC as to not really be separate as far as stay at home and close your business types of behaviors, so there may be a mobile groomer you can use.

If you have to proceed by yourself I agree strongly with raindrops on how to proceed. Go slowly, be careful working through the mats and don't give consideration to appearance just get the mats out. Then shorten everything. It is just hair and it will regrow.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm in California where there's a pretty assertive isolation order. My neighbor had her poodle mix groomed by the usual mobile groomer this week. Clipping out mats is hard And you might be able to find a pro still.

I use the Andis clipper shown in the photo on this thread, a good pin brush and slicker brush and Cowboy magic. However, when I find real mats, I usually just clip them out with scissors.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would suggest that you scissor your pup all over first. You should be able to get a lot of the mats that way. Which will make your job easier and more comfortable for your pup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts