Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a poodle puppy in a long time so I need suggestions on puppy toys. I know the kong is tried and true but what are some other things that are fun and good for teething puppies?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the Orbee-Tuff toys. I bought this artichoke that lasted even thou I have the dobes around?!?!?! (don't know how that happened!)

http://www.planetdog.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10923400

That and VIP Products:

http://www.vipproducts.com/retail/files/index.php?cPath=27_353&osCsid=mmuk5ltomu1g4a60c48d198i67

Some of their toys are virtually indestructible.
Thanks I'll check these out. He's not much about toys right now but he just got here so it will take time.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Petsmart been having special deals where you get two toys in the same package for a very resonable price. Toys that are usually $6 or $7 are now two for $9. Harley loves Migrators and they last, which is amazing for a Rottweiler toy. They are birds, we have two Mallards and one Goose, and the honk instead of squeaking. Also, I signed up for the petperks card a couple years ago and now I get coupons for my dogs' birthdays.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since today is his first day I can't get him interested in much but I'm thinking rope toys and softer things will work to start. I might try a nylabone to see what he's even interested in. I've noticed they they do have their own personalities and like certain toys when some don't just like children.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
KPoos, You're so right about them having certain toys that they like over others. Ours will dig deep into toy basket, pulling out many others, just tossing them to the side to get to that special toy that they want.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would start with the rope and soft toys first. Inca had a teddy first and also a rabbit that we called travel bunny. This was so she wouldn't be lonely in her cage when we were travelling. She seemed to go through stages where one toy would be favoured over others. Squeeky toys, she tried to disembowel or jump on them and make a noise. Then the next week she wasn't interested. You could play with the pup yourself, hiding things under containers, playing hide and seek and making a big fuss when found. I stuffed one of my husband's old odd socks at one stage, tied a knot in the end of it and made a tuggy toy. We had a latex toy rabbit that didn't look as though it would stand up to little teeth but 2 years later, it's still here. We had to be wary of tennis balls (even now) as Inca can strip the outer cover off in minutes

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, he's been chewing at the carpet of all things. I need to find him things he can chew like nylabones and something that's maybe a very durable plastic type feel? I think maybe the rope toys and one soft toy that's a good size would be okay for now. I tend to go overboard with toys and then they don't get played with at all. I will start slow with this little guy and then see what he's interested in. He liked chewing up my daughter's flipflops but I don't see soft chewable easily destructable toys in Petsmart.LOL

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I found great thing for new puppies first nights. It's a flat dog with velcro tape on his belly, you stuff it with small heating pad and battery operated heart beat, so puppy feels like next to mommy.
Well, I don't have a puppy yet, but I'm getting ready :wink:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, he's been chewing at the carpet of all things. I need to find him things he can chew like nylabones and something that's maybe a very durable plastic type feel? I think maybe the rope toys and one soft toy that's a good size would be okay for now. I tend to go overboard with toys and then they don't get played with at all. I will start slow with this little guy and then see what he's interested in. He liked chewing up my daughter's flipflops but I don't see soft chewable easily destructable toys in Petsmart.LOL
Teddy did that when first got him too. We actually had to end up giving him one of my slippers because we would come home and he'd be laying on it in the window. Another thing is, we had a teddy bear from WalMart that my boyfriend got me, one of the five dollar lovable huggables....they work great, very destructible and cuddly for them. Another thing too I found at Big Lots was a toy that tears apart, but it's a hippo. I'd get it out and look at the name but Teddy's in here with me and he doesn't know that I have it. It's a Hartz one so obviously it's a great quality toy.

Good luck, hopefully you'll find something for your adorable poo!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I'll look at Big Lots. We have two of them so I can scour the place for good toys for him. So far stuffed animals are a no go but my rubber flipflops are what he wants to chew up. He's ruined 2 pairs of my daughter's so far, oops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts