Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy has always had his own signature style no specific cut. He has a very full mane, long ears, tight body and full legs. With the current situation he has not been to his groomer in three months. I have purchased all the stuff and groomed him best I could in the meantime. We FINALLY have a grooming appt next week! YAY! I’m thinking of making a change and wanted some input or photos /ideas maybe etc? He runs super hot. I always take his cut down by at least half length in summer versus cooler weather but he is just a dog that runs super hot and will overheat very quickly so I am extremely careful with him during hot months. I am considering taking his ears off :oops: I ADORE long ears and his have rarely ever been cut but they are old hair and look pretty shabby from years of brushing and combing and I think having all that ear hair off may help him be bit cooler. I will still keep his rock star head and mane but I’m thinking of doing an ear same blade as body (7) which is what i do on my parti who is in a German cut and I like the masculinity of it. My question is what do you guys think? And if I do that should I take the leg just short hair like it is now or my thought was to maybe take the leg off to match the body and balancing the mane with a nice full bracelet? Maybe having most of the leg bare would also make him bit cooler? I will attach a few pics of his winter look (first three pics) and what he looks like now ( excuse my home groom job lol) and would love your opinions or examples of pics etc as I try to decide. I have just always had him look this way and think it will be scary to change since I’m one of those people that hate change lol Thanks so much for your help in advance!
CEE0834E-B4C9-440B-88DE-D2E2CD123326.jpeg
6C430335-01E0-48AD-8E2B-B72D0E22FE1D.jpeg
830ECECC-9438-4AE6-8BA7-AE25E4496A22.jpeg
2127DCE3-9F48-4ECD-A3A3-3EDAEF68D363.jpeg
A42B34EF-BD50-4C1F-8E24-4DF28F505666.jpeg

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wow, that is the most unique poodle haircut I’ve ever seen! Taking it shorter will definitely help him stay cooler. The warmest parts are the trunk of the body and the head since there is a lot of blood flow to the vital organs. For maximum cooling I’d think taking the body and at least the ears shorter would be most effective. I get not wanting change though. Whatever you do will feel extreme since he has such a dramatic style!
By the way, can I ask where you got the collar your parti is wearing?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I would definitely give him a short haircut all over, just keeping volume on the top knot. And yes, do the ears too !

This much hair has got to be very hot in the summer. I like my dogs short in summer, they’re so much more comfortable.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all! It’s such a hard decision for me I know it grows but it’s just HIM. We shall see if I can muster the courage lol. Thank you so much for the compliments too! My collars and leashes are the only ones I ever use. They are so great! A brother/sister duo in Puerto Rico make them by hand. I can’t say enough about them. The lead style I get is hands free let me see if i have a pic. It can also convert to an extra long lead, a regular length lead or a short traffic lead. The company is called It’s My Lasso. The training collar is one I use with the hands free rudder leash. If you look at the first couple pics of my brown boy you can see the lead and collar as well. The have an AMAZING lifetime replacement policy which I use often to switch up the colors 😉
A5EC971D-DA3D-461C-860B-26D9AABAF7DF.jpeg

·
Registered
474 Posts
It’s kind of funny bc I just saw some collars similar (not as nice) on Etsy the other day and I was so jealous I didn’t have a big dog 😩 and wondered how they’d look on poodles! Now I know and still jealous!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Beautiful grooming on both dogs! Very creative. Thanks for the name of the leash crafter, I am actually looking for a good rope leash to use with Gracie as a tug when entering the agility ring. The lifetime replacement is a nice feature.

Reactions: Mvinotime

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Your grooming skills are awesome. Love the groom., would do the German ears and cutting and short all over for the summer.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
For a while, I did Annie's ears by snipping with scissors along the bottom, then combing the hair to the side in a few different directions and snipping the outline 3 or 4 times. It left relatively fluffy but still fairly short ears. That might make them cooler and get rid of the dead hair? I would definitely think of going shorter for summer. I also find putting a wet bandana with the V on her back helps a lot with the heat

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
It will take a while to regrow the rock star ear hair if you go for a German clip. I personally would remove the triangle over his shoulders for the summer (though it's an awesome look on him.) Shorten his ears and head to get rid of the worst of the dead hair. Then see how you like it for a week or so before shaving the ears into a German cut.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts