Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our standard pup is 13 weeks old and has been with us for two weeks. We are having trouble housetraining, she's not understanding what we want, which I know is my fault. I take her out every two hours, and she pees/poops and comes running for a treat. She knows exactly what to do out there. However, she comes in and goes on the floor inside, too. I have her on a 4 foot leash attached to me at my desk, and she will pee right at my feet. I can take her out every hour if necessary, but she can definitely hold it for longer than an hour. She goes in her crate at midnight and wakes up at 7 am every day, completely dry. Nights are awesome.

Anyhow, my concern is that I don't think she understands not to go in the house. If I train myself to set a timer and take her out every hour, I feel like I'll just be bringing her outside to have her accidents... How do I get her to make the connection or learn that pee outside is good and inside is not?

She eats at 8am, noon, and 4 pm every day. Goes out 20-30 minutes after and then once again before her next meal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,820 Posts
What jumps out at me first is that she is running into the house for a treat. You should be treating her the moment she finishes peeing or pooping in the correct spot, even going so far as to hold the yummy thing to her nose as she finishes up. Otherwise she’s not being rewarded for pottying in the correct place; she’s being rewarded for coming back inside (and may be in such a rush to do so that she’s ignoring her body’s needs).

That she can hold it longer than an hour isn’t the point just yet. You’re still trying to communicate your expectations to her. Letting her out every hour (or at the times she typically has accidents) will prevent any missteps. Only ever going outside—and getting rewarded enthusiastically for it—is how it will all click for her.

She’s still just a baby, so this may take some time. :) But consistency is key.

I recommend sticking closely to this guide:

·
Registered
Bella mpoodle, Chauncey spoodle puppy
8 Posts
I recommend sticking closely to this guide:
Errorless Housetraining
Housesoiling is a spatial problem, involving perfectly normal, natural, and necessary canine behaviors (peeing and pooping) performed in inappropriate places.Housetraining is quickly and easily accomplished by praising your puppy and offering a food treat when she eliminates in an appropriate...
www.dogstardaily.com
www.dogstardaily.com

Great article, very helpful.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
115 Posts
We did not tether Winnie (now 15 weeks) to us but that was going to be our next step when we were struggling at the beginning. We decided to take her out every 30 minutes from 8am (we go out to pee at 6am and go back to sleep for just a bit) until her quiet/sleep time at about 9pm. (we potty one more time at 11 and go to bed/crate in bedroom) We did that for the first two weeks we had her. That allowed us to see her patterns and normal potty times. She would pee every single time and even then we would still have an accident after a bit of playing or after waking up from a nap. We have now had her for 7 weeks and have not had an accident in weeks. We do train our pups to ring a bell at the back door and every time she rings we take her out. We still are very aware that she needs to go out after playing and if she's been snoozing but usually she beats us to the door and we go out. We have used the crate also. If I think she should be needing to go but she's distracted by squirrels or birds or even our noisy neighbor I'll pop her in the crate for 15 minutes and then try again. I have had to remind my husband over the weeks that she's a baby and she won't be able to control herself for quite a while and it's up to us to take her out more than necessary and to make it easy for her to succeed.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I agree with the others so I won't repeat what's already been said but will add that sometimes the pup's bladder hasn't quite reached that point where when they're up moving about they don't have to pee but it's to late for them to ask when the realize it. PeggythePoodle is spot on in that you must praise when they do it in the correct place. I have one certain place that I take a new pup in our yard each & every time. That is the pee/poo spot. When they squat I say, "GOOD GO PEE PEE" & when it's poo time & they are in position & the poo starts to come out I say, "GOOD GO POTTY". While it may sound foolish if you are consistent, you can travel with your dog or visit friends & they know what each phrase means & if I have my Giant with me & she pees & is praised for it I can ask, "Gotta go Potty?" & she knows she has a short window to look for that poo spot or we're going inside so she does her business. (You don't have to use the same phrases as I do of course but you get the idea. Praise for doing it in the right place.) If the dog is not getting the whole "don't go in the house" theme, stay outside with them until they go. If you can't, bring them in & crate them, then in 15-20 minutes, take them back outside & give them another bathroom break. If they go then praise praise praise... then they can come in like normal. If they don't, back into the crate 15-20 minutes then back outside & you do this until you get a pee or a poo or both. It's annoying & time consuming at first but if that pup goes outside, gets praised or treated enough times they will get the whole picture. Pee & Poo belong outdoors. Happy humans & clean puppy belong indoors until bathroom time :)

Hang in there. It'll get better.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,820 Posts
A command is really useful, especially in icky weather! I use “Hurry up!” as a general “Time to focus on what you’re out here to do” cue. This will get her attention, as it means she has limited time remaining in her potty area. I can also say “Do a pee” or “Do a poo” if I’m a fairly confident which one she has to do.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Oh such fond memories... Sounds normal to me. I understand how it can feel like it's not connecting. Strap in and get the mega pack of 6-8 rolls of paper towels. It will get better eventually.

There's only so much you can do to control and communicate with your furbaby.

It might get old or you forget or it feels silly to praise enthusiastically everytime when puppy pees where they should... But, try your best because your effort will pay off. Ignore the silly stares from other humans because they don't know your struggle. Remember, poodles want to please. So, your sending the right message when you praise puppy like you might if she was a human who she scored her first soccer goal. Watch your furbabys tail whip from zero to 100 as to say, "omg that made mom so happy???". Be that furparent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our standard pup is 13 weeks old and has been with us for two weeks. We are having trouble housetraining, she's not understanding what we want, which I know is my fault. I take her out every two hours, and she pees/poops and comes running for a treat. She knows exactly what to do out there. However, she comes in and goes on the floor inside, too. I have her on a 4 foot leash attached to me at my desk, and she will pee right at my feet. I can take her out every hour if necessary, but she can definitely hold it for longer than an hour. She goes in her crate at midnight and wakes up at 7 am every day, completely dry. Nights are awesome.

Anyhow, my concern is that I don't think she understands not to go in the house. If I train myself to set a timer and take her out every hour, I feel like I'll just be bringing her outside to have her accidents... How do I get her to make the connection or learn that pee outside is good and inside is not?

She eats at 8am, noon, and 4 pm every day. Goes out 20-30 minutes after and then once again before her next meal.

Any advice would be appreciated.
My Schnauzer pup was 10 weeks old when we got him. He slept in a crate and when he woke up I took him out. When he started peeing I said "Go pee pee" when he was done I said "Good boy" with an excited voice and pet him. I took him out when I thought he could go. If he went in the house I just wiped it up said nothing. He wanted to please me, and by telling him and praising him he figured it out. I did spend a long time outside in the winter with him, waiting for him to go. Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts