Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi. my party poodle mated it a **** zhu on 2/13/10(well, that was the first time). I was wondering what the signs and symptoms are for dog pregnancy? I have looked up info and it says that she should be bout 5 or 6 weeks into it. I have taken a stethascope to see if i could hear the heartbeats and i think i hear lil fast taps in her abdomen and i think that i have felt some lumps, but im inexperienced and not sure what i am looking for. Thank you for all your time.i have attached 2 photos of her...1sr one is of her n 2nd one is of her abdomen taken 2day.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Im assuming this was not an accidental breeding as you let it happen more then once. Why would you go into it without a mentor or a clue what you are doing? Why are you bringing more mixed puppies into this world when millions are dying every day in shelters? Where did you get your girl? What health tests has she had done? How old is she? If she is indeed pregnant then i really hope she and none of the puppies die during birth as you have just risked her life for it.

By the way, you should at least know how to spell the name of the breed you bred your girl to.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
She looks precious and she does look pregnant. Go get an ultrasound so you know what you are dealing with. Mine was around $30. Start preparing and start finding homes NOW. Don't get off track with everyone telling you negative stuff. What happened happened. Now deal with the situation as professionally and humanely as you can. PS. she needs groomed very badly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really?!?!!! i was coming here to get some help and all i get is critisism! Im sorry that my spelling is a lil off....and, this was not planned! we kept them locked up away from each other when we were gone...but, a couple times, we got home and they had gotton out and stuck together! i am not going to be using this board anymore...rude!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She looks precious and she does look pregnant. Go get an ultrasound so you know what you are dealing with. Mine was around $30. Start preparing and start finding homes NOW. Don't get off track with everyone telling you negative stuff. What happened happened. Now deal with the situation as professionally and humanely as you can. PS. she needs groomed very badly.
i just wanted to thank you for your kindness! this was not planned and we tried our best to prevent it, but like you said, things happen! Yes, she does need groomed! I am actually calling the grommers 2mrw! Thank you again and i will keep you updated on what goes on. I am not going to let some rude person steer me away from here!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
You should be going to a vet to see if she's pregnant, not an internet forum. Start reading all about whelping if you plan on having the litter and maybe even contact a local REPUTABLE breeder to see if they have time to coach you through the birth. If you cannot find a breeder, please take the dog to the vet as soon as there are signs that she is having the puppies. There are many things that can go wrong during a whelping even in the most experienced of hands.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Puppy Love

There are going to be some of us who get very upset with people who..uh ... 'end up' with an unplanned pregnancy.... but this happens...ESPECIALLY when you have intact dogs..... may I make a suggestion?.... as soon as you possibly can... JUST as soon as it can possibly be done...spay her....keep one of her pups too...I know that sounds crazy..to keep one of her pups...unless you are dirt poor it really prooves to be a wise decision in the long run...and get the male fixed as well...unless he is a fancy show dog with a boatload of championships or something and his pups are worth thousands....ok?...that's my advice....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thank you for your advice. We just had the male netured about 4 weeks ago I wanna say. Also, we have discussed it and we are def. getting her spayed after the pups! I feel horrible for this to have happened, but we all learn from our mistakes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
here's a pic of her belly as of tonight...just took it like 10 min ago!

i can tell the dif in her. she's still not big considering shes 6/7 weeks. or, do they all of a sudden "balloon" in the last weeks?

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
They swell more in the last couple of weeks, sometimes not at all (if the pups are all up under her ribs )

you can get an ultrasound any time after 30 days to see if she is pregnant. unless she has had puppies before, it looks as if she is, but could also be having a false pregnancy.

You want to take her to a vet to get a check up...now would be a great time, before she is huge and stressed.

She should be clipped short, especially on her belly (so puppies can nurse) her face(so it doesnt get all gunky when she delivers) and her vulva, tail and feet. (again so they dont get all gunky and matted)

Make sure that whoever you give the puppies to understands that they have to spay and neuter them so this doesnt happen to them.

make sure you have a vet on call 24 hours, in case (as dogs often do) she goes in labor in the night time, on a weekend, during a snowstorm and holiday (LOL)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
:doh: Why do people keep intact dogs and bitches together in a house?

I suggest you get and read the books:

The Complete Book of Dog Breeding by Dan Rice DVM
Successful Dog Breeding by Chris Walkowicz

You have a lot to learn. If you are not careful, your bitch can die in whelp. I suggest that you take your bitch to the vet and get him to whelp the litter for you. Please give special attention to the section on socializing puppies. The start you give them lasts a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks, CBrand. When I was looking for books on competitive obedience training/competitions, you recommended Competition Obedience: A Balancing Act by Byron and Yunck. It is/was so thorough and full of information I need and will be referring to frequently. Since I'd like to learn more about breeding, I am so glad you suggested these books.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update on her progress:

Cindy has gotton a lil bigger and she seems very uncomfortable, poor thing. Last night, I discovered that her colstrum is in. Tonight, I was cleaning her vulva and nipples with a warm wash cloth and I noticed a clear discharge coming from her vulva...from what I have read up on, this could mean she is going into labor in a couple days??? Im very excited! We have her whelping box set up for her and she seems to like it. She hasn't started to dig at the sheets and paper we have in there yet. Hmmm....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congrats!!! its so exciting to have a new litter of pups even if they were not planned lol. Cant waite to see pics after they arrive :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so, with the milk and the discharge, its probably gonna happen soon, huh? i should take her temp and see what its at......

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Are you taking this bitch's temperature? You need to do this to establish a baseline temp. When the bitch's temp drops and stays down, you know that your bitch will go into labor in 24 hours. How many days has it been since she was covered by your boy?

Are you ready? Where are you whelping? Do you have a whelping kit? Did you order the books?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe the first tie was on 2/13/10...so going by that, she would be going into her 8th week. I have not started taking her temp....I will start tonight. We have made the whelping box in our spare room...it is the warmest room of the whole place and the most calm and quiet place as well. I have most of the things for our whelping kit in the room as well. I have not ordered the books, but i have been doing a lot of research online. I am ready and just waiting on her!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Take her temp 2-3 times a day until she has her puppies.

Jamie did not nest, but had a clear discharge from about her 6th week.
she did not even act any differently (other than being really needy during the day time for a few weeks before she whelped)

She actually had two puppies before I even knew she was whelping.

Make sure your vet is on call, read all you can in the next week (maybe more, maybe less)
Jamie whelped EXACTLY 8 weeks, one day after the ONE TIE she had.

make sure you know what to do if a puppy is stuck, has fluid in the airway, ect ect

also know how to check for a cleft palate, and other defects.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
And be sure to have a heat lamp stationed over a corner of the whelping box. We have ours about 24" from the pups. If it gets too warm they will gravitate away from it, but they should not get chilled at all. If they huddle constantly, they are a bit chilly. My pups are usually born late August/early September and I have one on constant;y for the first three weeks.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts