Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pompadour is my first poodle also my first show dog.

He is 4 months now and his breeder made a scandinavian puppy lion clip on him, that was a month ago.

I'm taking care of his coat and trying to keep the clip, I know he needs to grow more hair, but I'm not sure if I'm doing the clip well :/

I use an andis clipper with a #40 blade and this 3 brushes, do I need another type of brush and of what kind?

Any advise is welcome.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'd say get a good slicker brush, I personally have never used the rubber brush on poodles (the black one?) as I've only used it on shedding breeds.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say get a good slicker brush, I personally have never used the rubber brush on poodles (the black one?) as I've only used it on shedding breeds.
Hi yes! the round one is a rubber brush, I'm using it on the top part of his pants since he has shorter hair there so I din´t know what is the best for that area. :eek:hwell:

Thanks for the tip, I have seen slicker brushes with pins that are bended in the half and ones that are more straighter wish one is the best to use?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm in LOVE with my wonderful Les Pooch brush now (thanks to oodlejpoodles mom!) and would recommend them for any poodle. LOVE it!
A slicker brush is fine for a pet, but I wouldn't be recommending it for a show coat at all as it does break the coat a lot and you need to be treating that coat like gold and don't want to be using anything on it that'll be liable to break it. If there's hair coming out in the brush, it's not a good thing for a show coat!!!
Stick with a comb and pin brush like you have (though I don't know the quality of the brush you have!) and I'd not bother with the rubber one.

I'd also be starting to band up his topknot, even if it's into puppy horns, cos if you want the big topknot it'll have to be banded; he might as well get used to it now as well as keeping it banded will help keep it from being damaged.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in LOVE with my wonderful Les Pooch brush now (thanks to oodlejpoodles mom!) and would recommend them for any poodle. LOVE it!
A slicker brush is fine for a pet, but I wouldn't be recommending it for a show coat at all as it does break the coat a lot and you need to be treating that coat like gold and don't want to be using anything on it that'll be liable to break it. If there's hair coming out in the brush, it's not a good thing for a show coat!!!
Stick with a comb and pin brush like you have (though I don't know the quality of the brush you have!) and I'd not bother with the rubber one.

I'd also be starting to band up his topknot, even if it's into puppy horns, cos if you want the big topknot it'll have to be banded; he might as well get used to it now as well as keeping it banded will help keep it from being damaged.
Thanks!!

I'm not sure if I can find that brush since I live in Honduras and very few people show here mostly poodles, they are more interested in rottweilers, huskies and boxers.

I'm banding his topknot but I'm trying to get him used to it, since sometime he tries to take it off with his paws and rubbing against the floor :eek:hwell:

Sometimes he sucess, I guess his hair is still too short for the band to hold well.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah another thing want to know is how to get his coat tight.

I use the metal comb in the pic but I can't get the results I want. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I think his neck may be clipped down a bit too far for a puppy. Maybe bring that up a little closer to his Adam's apple.

You could tie a little pony over each eye just to tidy him up a bit and scissor a bit around his ankles.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Thanks!!

I'm not sure if I can find that brush since I live in Honduras and very few people show here mostly poodles, they are more interested in rottweilers, huskies and boxers.

I'm banding his topknot but I'm trying to get him used to it, since sometime he tries to take it off with his paws and rubbing against the floor :eek:hwell:

Sometimes he sucess, I guess his hair is still too short for the band to hold well.
Are you able to order things online and get them shipped to you? PetEdge.com Wholesale prices on exclusive dog grooming and pet supplies has everything you could possibly need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts