Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

After vetoing a dozen of names, hubby finally came up with one that we are both happy with. We are going to name our mini silver boy Nickel.

Nickel won't be here until May 1 (tentatively). I have finished shopping for him. Now I'm trying to figure out how I should potty train him.

We live in a high-rise (so we have to go out of our unit, elevator hallway, elevator, small lobby then door to the street). We have a spare bathroom where I plan to put his litter pan. The desirable schedule (after training) will be: 20-min walk in the morning and 30 to 40-min walk before we go to sleep and he would use the litter pan during the day.

I work from home right now so I am able to carry him to the litter pan every 1.5-2 hrs. When he first comes home, should I start out by focusing on litter pan training so that he's comfortable using the pan? I am afraid I might confuse him by taking him outside sometimes and taking him to the litter pan some other times.

Any apartment/condo potty training suggestions welcome. Can't wait to meet my little guy.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm guessing you don't have a balcony? If you do, have you thought about getting a grass pad? They have them at Petco and Petsmart, look like grass, so then he might not have as much confusion? We've always had a yard, so other than that I'm no help!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Nickel is a cute name! We will be going through the exact same thing at the exact same time. I also live in a condo and will be bringing Darcy home a week tomorrow! He is currently pretty much puppy pad trained, so I plan to use those first thing in the morning (and if he needs to go in the night at all) and outside during the rest of the time. That will only be for when he is very small, once he can hold it a little longer I will stop using puppy pads.

I can't say whether this method will work or not, as I haven't used it! But I did puppysit my friend's puppy for a week-end when she was about 14 weeks and did exactly what I just said, puppy pad first thing, outside rest of time, and she did fine and had no accidents the whole week-end. So fingers crossed that short term experiment translates to long term success!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We do have a balcony but we are not allowed to let our pets do their business there.

My schnauzer was trained to go outside and later he refused to do his business indoor and I had to take him out in severe weather. So this time I want to add a little flexibility to the training program. I'm thinking to focus on litter pan training first so that he knows and will be willing to go indoor at his designated spot and sees the outdoor walk as a leisure/play time instead of a "business trip". Then later when he gets more reliable, the litter pan will be used as a backup plan (e.g. late from work, extra long dinner with mother-in-law, etc)

Does this sound like something doable?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would put him in an ex pen with his litter pan when you are gone for a few months, unless you plan on crate training him. he will be small when you get him, and may not be able to make it to the pan if left free. and if he messes in other parts of the house when you are gone, he will think its ok.
gradually you can make his area bigger with gates and such, until he is able to stay in the whole condo without issue. :)
keeping him semi confined will also help set him up for sucess as far as not allowing him to get to fun stuff to chew on (like your shoes)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the suggestions.

how about taking him outside every single time until he can go down to 4 times/day (2 long walks AM and before bed; 2 short business trips)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts