Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Bella mpoodle, Chauncey spoodle puppy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we have a 4 1/2 month old male spoo. He had been taught to pee on paper. He now has a crate and exercise pen where he sleeps. He doesn't pee or poop in his "bedroom" but on our floor. When we take him outside he loves to play and doesn't seem to relize he is supposed to pee and poop outside. Sometimes he comes in and pees. Any suggestions or help?

·
Super Moderator
2,236 Posts
If you don't have them already, I would strongly recommend that you get and read Ian Dunbar's books Before You Get Your Puppy and After You Get Your Puppy. You can order them from Amazon or download them for free (as a pdf file) from his website. BEFORE You Get Your Puppy

In dealing with your current problem, make sure you clean up any accident areas with vinegar or enzymatic cleaner. You want to eliminate the smell from the spot where he had the accident, so he doesn't form the mistaken impression the spot is a toilet area and continue to seek it out. Avoid letting him wander loose in the house while he is figuring out the housebreaking concept. Keep him in his crate/playpen, or keep him on leash with you. These measures will reduce his opportunity to find a quiet corner to toilet in.

Leave a bit of poop in his outside toilet area and lead him out there on leash about 20 minutes after a meal. Be boring and businesslike. Simply go out there and stand while he sniffs or stares at you. Give him a few minutes to think it over. Take him back inside and put him in his crate if he fails to pee or poop. Take him out again in another 20 minutes. When he does finally pee and poop, throw a party. Praise him, give him several treats, and start playing. This party is his reward for doing the right thing.

Also, remember that puppies may understand the idea behind housebreaking before they are actually physically capable of implementing it. Some puppies catch on quicker than others. My boy Pogo was housebroken at 4 months. My current pup Galen was still having several accidents a week inside the house at almost 6 months. I could take him out, get a poop out of him, and have him poop in the house 15 minutes later. I knew he'd eventually get it, and indeed he did, but jeepers was he slow.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
76 Posts
We have put up baby gates and we have used a exercise pen opened up into a fence to make our family room much smaller and our pup had no access to the rest of the house. She is only in the kitchen and part of the family room. For the first 4 weeks we had her she was taken out every half hour, after play and after meals. We also have bells hanging on the back door that she caught onto very fast. She has only had 2 accidents in the last 3 weeks and they were our fault. I still don't trust her if I can't see her and won't for several more months. We also are training her to go on command. We tell her what she's doing as she's doing it. Now if I tell her to pee she will squat and go... it's great if it's raining!
This pup is not as easy as our last but it's getting better and we know there is an end in sight. Good luck and let us know how it's going. 😊🐾💙

·
Registered
Bella mpoodle, Chauncey spoodle puppy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions. We do have potty bells. He will ring them and go out and play! But I am going to add your suggestions. I know he will eventually catch on. The last couple days he hasn't had any poop accidents - progress!!!!

·
Premium Member
23,868 Posts
Put the bells away until you get him properly understanding house training. Also accidents are our fault not the pup's fault most of the time. We need to get them on track with good schedules and consistency as suggested by others above.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti
1 - 6 of 6 Posts