Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 yr old toy poodle who just had her very last litter... ever... she is still a bit over weight. What is a good way to get her to shed this weight. I work long days when I do work but have alot of time off. She loves to sleep and ve lazy... she does not know how to play with toys yet or I'd play alot with her.

She eats 1 spoon full of NATURES WAY chicken formula wet food and a very small helping of DIAMOND NATURALS SMALL BREED CHICKEN AND RICE dry food 2 times daily. She ears what she wants and then when she walks away i toss the rest. She goes out several times a day so she wonders around outside but I just want the best for her.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I would think she would've dried up by now. Take her to the vet anklet him take a look. Cutting the amount she eats will help her lose weight, walks, perhaps a low calorie version of her food?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Simple, the same way I lose 130 lbs, walks. Start small, I did, and gradually bring the distance up step by step.

And make it interesting for you to keep your interest up. My thing was audible books, I would get loss in the story and the next thing I knew, 1/2 mile became 1 mile, 1 mile became 2 and on and on until I would suddenly find myself 5 miles into the walk and still needing to get back to my car.

Of course my walking buddy was a standard, you'll have to lower your walking distance for a toy, but you will surprise how far you two get bit by bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has a vet appointment to be spayed on the 22nd. Her boobies are stinking more and more each day. Um sure she is mostly dried up by now tho they still feel pretty warm and she always wants me to rub them.

I do plan on walking my street its .5 miles 1 way so down and back I believe is 1 mile. But we are also still learning the leash. She is loving pet life Haha she was always very loved but was housed in a barn designed alot like an animal shelter with runs and indoor rooms.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
If they stink even when you have bathed away any sour milk a vet visit is certainly needed - ditto if they feel hot and swollen. If they are just itchy because she is still lactating rubbing them will encourage more milk, just as puppies suckling will.

On the weight loss I second BarbiesPoodle. Find interesting places to walk, let her pause and sniff at first, then jolly her along briskly for a few hundred yards, laughing and singing and playing (and if necessary waving a tiny bit of cooked chicken). Then a bit of sniffing, and another brisk walk or trot. Start with a distance you are both comfortable with, and add 100 yards a day - if you start with just half a mile within a fortnight you will be up to nearly 1.5 miles. Walk that twice a day and you will both feel the benefit!

Remember the metabolism tends to slow down after spaying, so you may need to look at food quantities again.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I would be worried by her breasts smelling....it could be mastitis (just like human moms get when their breasts become engorged!) As far as putting her on a diet just decrease her food by 10-20% and begin taking her for walks since she doesn't play with toys or play fetch. Hope the Vet visit is sooner rather than later!

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Lol - bit of a difference! You had us all a bit worried there...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Whew!!! So glad they are shrinking and not stinking!
Normally to have a litter females are 2 years old, so I am surprised there is a leash walking problem still?

Yes to carrying a bit of chicken or beef, etc in TINY bites to encourage her to stay by your side.
Have you found homes for all of the puppies?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whew!!! So glad they are shrinking and not stinking!
Normally to have a litter females are 2 years old, so I am surprised there is a leash walking problem still?

Yes to carrying a bit of chicken or beef, etc in TINY bites to encourage her to stay by your side.
Have you found homes for all of the puppies?

Where she used to live she had alot of space to run around and play. So she never had to be on a leash. She is learning more and more intake her out on the leash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts