Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puca has been doing a really great time with potty training(he’s 6 months next week!). In the house he stops in the archway to let me know he has to go outside. He only had one accident at my moms house when we visited for a few days for thanksgiving. I’m especially proud that he even let me know he had to go out twice when visiting a friend.

Now that he’s gotten so much bigger he’s able to climb out of his pen if he gets really excited. So I’ve been trying to wean him out of the pen. I’ve been using the pen as a barrier between the kitchen and the living room and he has had access to the kitchen and the pen. But he keeps ripping up the pad(something he only started doing after thanksgiving) and if not totally confined to the pen he will pee on the floor. How can I get him to stop ripping it up and use it when he has access to more space?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Is there a reason why you want him to use the pad instead of going outside? Unless you're gone for more than like 8-9 hours I don't think there is a reason for a, what looks like standard poodle, would need to potty between that time. I would crate while you're gone or can't pay him attention and stop using pee pads.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a reason why you want him to use the pad instead of going outside? Unless you're gone for more than like 8-9 hours I don't think there is a reason for a, what looks like standard poodle, would need to potty between that time. I would crate while you're gone or can't pay him attention and stop using pee pads.
He’s a mini. Most days I’m not gone for more than 4-5 hrs at a time but maybe 1-2 days a week I am gone for 8 hrs. If he’s not confined he doesn’t feel the need to hold it at all. I just wanted to make sure he wouldn’t go in the house if he jumps out of the pen (he’s done both).

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
That's not too long for a mini. I would crate while you are gone. He should have no trouble holding it for that long then you can eliminate the potty pads entirely and no fear of him getting out of the pen or getting into anything he shouldn't.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If the pen is an exercise pen with 8 panels each 2 ft wide, you can buy a top for it that is attached with snap clips. I have always used a top with puppies so they never learn to climb out!

Amazon and Chewy both carry exercise pen tops.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Personally I use a crate. My dog sleeps in it at night or when I m out of the house. At 6 month I would think accidents are not too frequent and if he has one try to catch in act and take him out to potty. I've only used potty pads on a very small puppy that I knew could not hold it very long. I once had a 5-6 lbs shih tzu, I put them down for her when she was young, then again when she was very old, lol other than that she learned to hold it until let out. My dogs are never unattended more than 4 hours. and now they all sleep thru the night.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
A six month old puppy might not yet have the neuromuscular development to resist urges even though they understand the concept of housebreaking. I would keep him confined when you aren't there either in a crate or ex pen with the top.

Reactions: Puca pu
1 - 7 of 7 Posts