Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am trying to decide whether I should be getting a poodle puppy from a good breeder or get a rescue mutt dog of older age, and would appreciate some feedback.

I am looking for a velcro dog who is super affectionate, follows me around everywhere to be next to me, cuddle (and maybe go on my lap), etc. I want the dog to be dependent and attached to me, even clingy is fine (I prefer that). Thankfully I have a job that allows me to work remotely even post covid, so I will always be around and will have more time for the dog.

I generally heard good things about poodle and that it seems like they tend to be people/handler oriented dogs, so I would like to get a poodle.

However, I'm worried that the puppy I get from the breeder may not have that temperament - maybe the puppy may seem loving in the beginning but growing up, what if they turn out to be independent and aloof/on-their-terms type of dog?

Note: I already have a rescue dog who turned out to be independent and on-her-own-terms than what I had expected, and it really brought me (and even now) regret and depression. Despite some good qualities of my current dog, her independent trait makes me overlook the good qualities and focus on the bad ones, and I feel horrible.

I am wondering if I'm better off with getting a rescue dog who is well into adult years and has been noted to have that type of temperament at the foster home. Though I'm also worried that rehoming may be traumatic for the dog who was bonding with the foster family, and then turn out differently. Wondering if this will be the case for getting an adult poodle from the breeder as well.

I'm probably getting too paranoid, but I want to take into account all the factors before I proceed with my decision.

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
My toy poodle Bitsy is just like you described you wanted. I’m not sure a breeder can guarantee that though. Poodles in general are very cuddly dogs that like to be near you, though not necessarily clingy all the time. Even my clingy Bitsy wants space sometimes. You might have better luck with a male. It’s my opinion that the girls are like well typical girls. They want to be cuddled when they want to be cuddled. Where as the boys just want to be with you all the time. I’m sure others might have a different opinion. I love my poodles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you truly get depressed because a dog doesn’t turn out the way you want, don’t get a puppy. Puppies are a complete crap shoot, and you don’t really know how they’ll mature. My dog was super cuddly as a puppy and now that he’s mature, doesn’t want to be touching except under very certain circumstances. It isn’t at all fair to a dog for you to be disappointed to the point of regret and depression because he/she isn’t cuddly enough. Get an adult dog that’s known for being the way you want.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I think if you find a litter from two adult dogs that have temperaments close to your desires, and if the breeder pairs you appropriately with a puppy that is eager to engage with people, you should be able to find what you want. A lot of it is relationship building. But you still need to be ready to accept your dog for who they are. Poodles in general are quite attached to their owners and tend to be dependent dogs, but some can be a little more independent and not as physical as others. You may hedge your bets by going with a male. They have a reputation for being more clingy.

On the other hand there are many great dogs in rescues, and you could find what you're looking for if you are willing to deal with retraining of potential behavioral problems and dealing with potential health issues that are more likely to crop up in dogs from poor breeding. I would also say you don't necessarily know what you're getting with an older dog from a rescue. Many dogs take a while to warm up to new people and it's generally 3 months before a dog settles into a new home and starts behaving normally. So it's not super predictable. If my dog were at a meet and greet with new people, he would not appear cuddly at all. Playful and friendly, yes, but he does not care for petting by strangers. But he's very happy to be pet and cuddled if he's relaxed and with people he knows well.

Really I'd say go with what your heart wants. It also doesn't hurt to look at rescues for a bit and then go with a breeder if you can't find a dog you connect with.

Do keep in mind that dogs change a whole lot as they age, but it can go either direction. My dog was super cuddly if he was tired when he was very young and then between 4 and 9 months there was very little cuddling and I thought he was becoming more independent. He slowly started being willing to lay down close to me and over time (with me not forcing anything) he has become more and more cuddly. Now at two years he is a bit overly cuddly in that he insists on sleeping plastered against me or on top of me quite frequently. And he can be super annoying nudging me and pawing at my hand trying to get me to give him scratches. He does get less cuddly if I grow his hair out long because he gets hot easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the thoughtful advice!

I will keep these in mind - and seems like adult may be more appropriate for me.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I agree. Don’t get a puppy. Get an adult dog that has the temperament you want. It wouldn’t be fair for the dog otherwise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts