Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would greatly appreciate it! This is Zulu, she is almost 5 months in these pictures (She is getting so big!!). I'm just curious how i'm doing and am hoping for some suggestions, especially about her front end. I just dont know what to do with it!! sorry about the poor quality on the photos....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think it looks really good. It's hard at that age and how the texture of their hair is to do a lot. If you do much to the front right now other then thin it out some you will need to do the rest. Did you use clippers and scissors?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't know anything about grooming but I think you're butt picture belongs in our Sanitary Trim (aka Butt Pics) thread. Heehee.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Are you trying to do a show trim, or just having fun? If you're just having fun, then it looks great, your scissoring looks good and she's a pretty girl!!!

However if you're trying to do a proper puppy show trim, there's plenty to improve...
She needs more hair in the front end anyway. Her front legs look like they taper down ("pencil legs") so you need to be careful with that lower leg hair and not trim it too much (just trim the 'bevels' where it'd hang over the foot, but don't trim around the outside; let it grow!) the same goes for the ribs/underline/chest area; it's scissored too tightly and needs more length (her elbow needs to be 'hidden' into the underline)
You can take more off her throat; her neck looks short and dump with too much hair all around it, she needs neck hair, so take it off the front of her neck/throat instead. Taking it shorter on her throat gives them a bit more chest in comparison too.

The angle on her hind end needs changed a lot, it's far too steep and makes it look like her ass end falls off and her tail is low set! You need to take it down pretty darn short to those hip bones around the ass end, and make the angle from the hip bones to the pin bones much more 'slanty' rather than the steep incline it's at at the mo. Look at some puppy show trims and compare to your trim to see what I mean.

Also don't trim too much out of her tuck up infront of her hind legs yet either, it's making her look rather long in the body so you want to shorten her up a bit by keeping the hair on the inside of the front leg for now (if you're doing a show trim and going to a continental later then obviously that'll be gone then!)

And finally the slight definition between the jacket and the ass end needs to move backwards on the body a bit; it's currently sitting about the last rib, and is making the rest of her body look too long; it needs to be further back so that when she has more hair on the front half it'll make her look shorter!

But basically it'll all start coming together better when she has more hair. :p

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I am not going to show her but i was heading in that general direction with the cut, i was heading towards a lion puppy trim instead of the standard puppy trim, but the hair isn't there yet (no thanks to me!!) so i kind of toned down the definition this time. the info about the legs is very helpful, i was a bit confused about the angles for the hind end and the angles for the stifle/hock area. and the neck thing, your right she has no definition through there i was so worried abt messing it up but it makes since that taking that down a bit would give her chest more definition, the light bulb comes on!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts