Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My male poodle is 18 weeks old. He's doing well generally and I will be starting up obedience training again in about a week, so maybe that will help, but the problem is currently that when he's outside in the fenced backyard playing he decides to bark at me, jump at me and bite fairly hard. It's hard enough to make scratches through my clothes. He is also making little holes in my "nice" pajamas :(

I dont know what to do to stop him. I go out there to throw the tennis balls back and forth, which is fun for a while. But if I have to pick up a poop and take it to the garbage bin on the other side of the yard, he follows me barking and biting at my legs. If it were just annoying it would maybe be ok, but it hurts!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Lily had stages like that when she was young. She had very poor impulse control and broke skin (not deep bites, but grazing scratches from sharp baby teeth) along with ripping some clothes. But of course knowing that doesn't help you very much does it?

I would work on impulse control. This can be done as what my performance friends and I call kitchen work. Get a bunch of nice small treats and go someplace quiet in your house with your pup. Ask for a sit, give a treat. Ask for a sit, wait for eye contact offered without you saying anything and give a treat. Extend the time between asking for the sit and getting the eye contact and giving the cookie. As he gets better and better at this you can add distractions and eventually you will transfer it to the yard. You can also do the "It's Yer Choice" game as a way to install impulse control that will be transferable to all kinds of distracting situations.

You will get this under control. In the meantime wear clothes you don't care about when you are out in the yard with the land shark.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Thank you- I tried the It’s Yer Choice game and he did so well with it. Should so do it multiple times a day?

Yuppers and in different places with low distractions to build duration, then add distractions, and what Click said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts