Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My standard is about 22 weeks old and is a big puff ball after he is washed and brushed out. It’s very cute and soft but I can’t help but wonder how he would look with his body clipped shorter. Is it too early for that? Anyone have pics of puppy cut vs what you did after that? Thank you

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
There’s no such thing as too early to clip a puppy! By the time coat change rolls around most people may choose to go shorter to make it easier, but there’s no reason you can’t do it whenever you like.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
As Muggles sad you can do anything you want. My preference runs towards fluffy ears and tails.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
After Buck’s second puppy groom, my husband told me he looked fat! He wasn’t fat, but he did look like a fur explosion with his big coat. I couldn’t imagine dealing with coat change, so he went into a sport trim, with a short body, puffy tail and ears. Poodley enough, but zero angst during coat change and cooler for him in our hot climate. It’s your call and there are so many groom options:)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not early at all. I have been getting Milo used to grooming clipped milo the first week he is home. Then 2 months after he is home, I clipped him all over with a 12mm comb on a 15 blade. I kept his topknot and ears long at that time. I now know I don’t really like fluffy ears but I am trying it on him this winter.
First pic is pretty fluffy gotcha day, pic 2 is after a trim. And pic 3 was a few months ago when I was trying the teddy bear look. I also trimmed him a German for the summer and might just do that again since I love how it looked on him.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hey Sj512, I know exactly what you mean by the big fat puffball! My guy, Aero, is 26 weeks and though I clip his FFT every two weeks I have not yet clipped his body. I do run the clippers all over without actually clipping so I know he will be fine when I do the first big boy body clip. However I love the soft fluffy puppy coat for now and as long as there are no mats I’ve put off the clip.
With my first poodle, Dewey, I was so worried about doing my own grooming that I started his body clip around 4 months. Even now I keep him really short so again I just love the long puppy coat that Aero has. I keep saying I am clipping it this week and then put it off. My husband keeps saying keep the puppy coat for now so we shall see! If we start seeing mats then it will be short really quickly but for now the fat chunky look stays. :)
If you are ready for the first big boy groom then do it!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you look up the poodle show puppy trim, you can see how to shape that puffy fur a bit to flatter the dogs shape. I prefer it to a fluffy-all-over poodle puppy but maybe that’s just because I am so used to it. My girl never looked as perfect in the puppy clip as a lot of others I see but I will attach a couple of photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So when is the “coat change” typically? Also, My pup is due to be groomed and I think so will have his body clipped just a little shorter than normal, which up until now has never been clipped. I would like the groomer to shape up his top knot more but Im not sure how to put into words what I want. Is there any lingo that might help? Thanls

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
The best thing you can do on your first trip to a groomer is to take a picture of what you want with you. That is because no matter how you describe what you want, it may not be what the groomer translates that to be..........plenty of examples you can make a copy of online! Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Yes to taking pictures of what you want the dog to look like!

As an aside to StormeeK I get it about enjoying the puppy coat, but wow it will be interesting to see Aero's color once you do take it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts