Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - I'm owner of two standards - a male black and female apricot (one year old, pet only). I'm a total amateur groomer - I had to start grooming myself out of necessity (I have a young son who is frequently hospitalized so its hard to make grooming appts). But I really need help - I've watched a lot of videos and read up on grooming but I really need someone who can train me "hands on". I kind of like grooming - I looked into a local grooming school here in Houston but its very expensive (to the tune of at least 5K). Any thoughts about how I could find someone I could privately pay to give me hands on grooming lessons?

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Are the breeder(s) where you got your poodles close? Sometimes they are groomers and/or groom their own dogs and they may be happy to show you how to groom.

You might want to ask professional groomers if you can pay them to show you what to do. Most probably will refuse but you might find one that’s helpful.

Do you belong to a dog training club? Some of the members are groomers and they may be happy to help a fellow member with grooming issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was looking for the same help, but did find any, so I have been learn by books and videos. It just takes time and some funny looking Poodles, but I am starting to get better.

I hope your are able to find the help you would like.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Beandawgs, you have a poodle club in Houston - the Bluebonnet Poodle Club. Their web site is: Welcome to Bluebonnet Poodle Club!

Use the "Contact Us" button on their web page OR . . . they meet tonight at 7:30 - if you go to the meeting you can ask for help.

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
Johanna's suggestion is great. The suggestion of seeing if your breeder can help is good. Javelin's breeders are also excellent groomers (do their own show grooming). There are also good threads on PF with grooming tips and some good recommendations on YouTube videos there as well.

The nice thing is that their hair grows fast so unless you accidentally take a chunk out of a show coat you can easily just shave down and start over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts