Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do other than brush your poodle teeth to keep tartar down. I saw smenting recommended for in their water has anyone tried it? I am taking Cayenne tomorrow and hopefully Sage the next day and I hate having them put to sleep. Any help appreciated

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Have you tried Leba III spray? I used it on my older poodles and after about two weeks of spraying it in their mouth once a day, the existing tartar just fell off their teeth. You don't have to rub it on or anything , just spritz. Of course, I have heard that it does not help hidden tartar, but with my Standards, it really did help. Amazon has it for. about 42 dollars a bottle. I got it because a Papillon owner highly recommended it.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Honestly I’ve tried everything and it doesn’t work. You need to brush. Or find someone who does dentals without anesthesia. This is what I did a few times but I didn’t like to see my dog restrained to have it done.

So now I brush. The two of them, every second day. It takes 30 seconds per dog. It’s a pain but it’s part of our routine now.

Oh, dogs who eat 100% raw (like raw meat on the bone) don’t have tartar. But they can’t be fed treats, or very little.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will try anything, I tried brushing, tried stuff you rub on their teeth, and fought all 3 of them to it was not worth the aggravation

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Charmed, thank you for reminding me about the Leba spray! Glory, have you tried it yet? I've heard good things in addition to Charmed's experience.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I have been brushing and using PetzLife gel. The gel is supposed to help remove plaque and tartar, but I haven't seen this, even with consistent use. It's so hard to brush certain teeth when their mouths are so small! I thought about using a water additive, but maybe I will give that spray a try.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Chewing on bones helps a great deal. My border collie passed away at age 16 and my vets always complimented his lovely smile.
I'm so worried about Miracle breaking her teeth. She already has a broken tooth (happened before I adopted her). I will give her the dehydrated fish skins (which also claim to clean teeth), but I worry about anything else. Maybe it's different for larger dogs?

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm so worried about Miracle breaking her teeth. She already has a broken tooth (happened before I adopted her). I will give her the dehydrated fish skins (which also claim to clean teeth), but I worry about anything else. Maybe it's different for larger dogs?
Cayenne fractured a tooth right after I got her from chewing on those greenees so I never let her chew them or a bone after that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts