Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, everytime I try grooming Max, I have a new appreciation for the talent and experience of a professional groomer! Thursday I bathed and dried him and I know that part will get better with time, and will be easier when I get a table. Today I brushed him again and clipped him, and that part was harder than I thought. So, a couple questions:

1. How do you get them to keep standing with their head in the loop. I thought the loop would make it uncomfortable to sit but he does it anyway and it has to hurt!

2. Where do you use clippers vs. scissors? I found it really hard with the clippers to get an even look. His hair looks really choppy. I'm not sure if it's my clippers (Whal brand made for people) or my technique or both.

Here's the before and after pix:

Suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
your clip looks good, remember there is only 6 weeks between a good hair cut and a bad one "heh heh" and you do get beter with practice. I know people who only use scissors on body and legs, blades on feet face and tummy. ohters use blades all over. you will find you own style. keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
He looks great. Is he still a pup because he looks it in that after pic. (love it) With Eli, I shave the whole body and scizzor the head, tail and poms. Thats just the style we are achieving for the moment as Im planning on growing his coat out. I have the different guards for my clipper's depending on how short I want to go. Thats what I do.... soon when he grows out I know the look I want to achieve is from a scizzor cut.

I don't know if this helped any but I think it depends on what you are wanting out of the cut. Yes, there are specific directions on how to shave the different area's of the body. Oh and sometimes my dogs want to sit while Im grooming. I usually try to keep them standing during the cut but they always poop out towards the end. Putting your hand just underneath the tummy/rear leg area helps when they are wanting to sit and I keep mine in a stacked position. When the legs are stacked out they have to actually step in and then sit .... I can catch the attemp to sit before it happens when I make them stand that way.

Hope this helped some. He looks great!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
re: 6 weeks between bad cut and another - That's what I love. If you mess up, it won't last too long!

Jenn: thanks for the tips. Yep, Max is 8 months old.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do you have bungees in America? Those things you use to hold things on. I use the loop for their head and a bungee just in front of their back legs. It is elastic enough to give a bit but still holds them in a standing position. Saying that, mine are toy poodles.

One other thing. My little brown girl is easy enough to clip with a 7F blade, but my black girl is so curly and thick that even after grooming straight, it is still difficult to get through her coat with clippers. Any advice?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jako! I actually liked Sammie's picture and decided to give that style a try!

Highhorse: We do have bungees. I'll give that a try. I know what you mean about the curly ones! It makes it hard to get an even cut. Max is pretty curly and he can turn 5 hours of hard work into a mess in an instant at the dog park. Once he gets wet it's over. So frustrating! Even if I can keep him out of the water, he'll get into a tumble with a drooling rottweiler and get literally soaked!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have to keep Teddy short because he is very thick and wiry coat but it is a nice coat - looks like a burbur rug when short.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts