Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am looking for some advice. Cricket and Clover seem to like each other. They play "fight" ALL the time when they are together. I let it go in the beginning, thinking that they would get it out of their system, and settle down together. Well....we have had Clover for over 2 months, and they STILL do it. They chase each other around, play bow, rear up on their hind legs and "box", nip at each other, pull on ears and tails, etc. The puppy of course is the one instigating most of it, and is always trying to jump on Cricket, like she is mounting her. Cricket is no angel either though, and will pull on the puppy's ear, etc. Everything I read said that it is normal when introducing dogs, and that they will sort out amongst themselves who the "boss" is. Cricket does put Clover in her place, but Clover is relentless and doesn't ever back down. She just keeps instigating her. It's ok when they are outside running around, but they do this in the house, and it is annoying and dangerous when the little one is walking about. The dogs listen to me seperately, but when they are together, it's like they totally tune me out, and get overly excited. We have to put gates up and keep them apart for times during the day, just so we get some peace! I'm not really sure how I should handle this behavior. Should they both get reprimanded for play-fighting? They are obviously playing, and not hurting each other. How can I stop them from playing in the house, without essentially keeping them away from each other? I want them to get used to each other, and be able to coexist in the same room calmly. Clover has gotten alot better with jumping on people, and hardly does it anymore. She is getting alot better with potty-training, and listening to me when we are one on one. She just totally loses focus when Cricket is around her. Any advice?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I know a family that has three spoos, the two youngest are littermates, though they're 7, lol, anyway, they still do this with the calmer one claiming dominance over the more hyper, wilder one. I wouldn't be worried.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Do you ever take the girls for nice long walks?? Sometimes, when my pack gets "cabin fever" they get more animiated inside the house than is comfortable... If they get a real walk (instead of just running around in the backyard, which sometimes escalates the action!) where they have to use their brains to follow what we're asking them to do on the walk (no lunging ahead, no random zigzagging) by the time we get home, they're ready for a lounge and a nap!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't like that type of playing inside the house so I stop it right away. They will end up knocking a kid down if they get out of hand so that's a no no. They have the garage and soon the backyard to play wrestle play.

Do you have kids? Kids are just like this when they are playing together and enjoying something they are doing. They just don't hear you because they are tuned to each other. I'd say find a sound that they will always respond to or create one using treats as a reward for responding to the sound and coming to you every time you make it, like clicker taining.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I agree with both suggestions - but puppies will do this type of playing Suri is almost 2 and still likes to do this. I do not have small children so we allow some of this until it gets to be too much then I stop it, an they ar seperated. Same with the Poms. You can always do the pennies or marbles in a jar to startle them out of rough playing. And like kpoos says when they calm themselves - treat them. Also you can try the water bottle too. When the one starts to act out - spritz the dog to snap her out of it and maybe the come command once attention is on you and treat. Distractions are a great way to correct but good expercise is key. Mental and Physical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts