Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunter is now 1 year and 5 months old. I work 2 days a week. During those days, everyone is out of the house for about 8 hours. I have a walker come around noon on those days to take him out.

The problem is that she went on vacation and had a substitute walker for 2 weeks. Every time that lady would come, he would pee and poo in his cage before she could get him out. The last time, he had a massive bout of diarrhea in his cage when she came. He wouldn't let her touch him to clean. I think that was due to stress. He really was scared of her.

My question is it better to just let him be alone for 8 hours (when the regular walker can't make it) vs having him be so stressed and scared when someone new comes? He has very good potty control but I've never left him that long before.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is it two days consecutively? I leave my dogs for that long sometimes. But it may be different since I don’t crate them when I leave. I just shut all the doors to the other rooms and leave them in the living room/ kitchen area. If you think he will be ok for that long, I personally don’t see anything wrong with it. Obviously he’ll need to go out as soon as you come home. Also, you can try it for like one day, if he’s worse then with the lady you can always have her come back.

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
I think I would leave him alone. It isn't ideal, but way better than having him so upset by someone he doesn't know and seems to have active fear/dislike for. I had a similar issue this past spring when we went to Indianapolis. I had sent Javelin to my mom's place and she had arranged for a dog walker to take him for a vigorous midday walk. She had done the same last year and it was all good. This year my aunt was with Javvy and mom's dog over the first weekend we were away. She is dog savvy and Javelin knows her pretty well. He was fine for her, but after my mom returned and the dog walker came to take him out on Monday he refused to go with her. My mom texted me and told me what happened wondering if it was worth it to try to have the walker take him out for the rest of the week. I told her no since I think he was at that point too upset by me leaving him at mom's and then her disappearing too. Dogs like routines and his routine was too upside down for him to cope with. It sounds like Hunter felt the same way.

Is it possible for you to use gates to keep him in the kitchen or to leave him in an expen on those days where he would be left without the midday walk?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an expen and a crate. I put him in the crate for the dog walker so she can reach him easier otherwise he tries to run. Then the walker puts him into the xpen when she leaves.

I go to work on Mon and Wed.

the next time this situation comes up I will try to leave him in the expen by himself.

thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts