Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
We are thinking of bringing home a spoo from Paradise Poodle located in North Cal. The Sir and Dam pedigrees look pretty impressive but I have a few concerns about the breeder as she is not requiring a puppy application and doesn't do family matching based on puppies temperament testing says that all puppies will have equal temperament... I would like to have your feedbacks please. Should I trust this breeder? Couldn't find much reviews online. Thank you!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
But they will have different temperaments, surely? We got matched with our puppy after Avidog testing at seven weeks. We wanted a puppy who was mellow, eager to please, and not too drivey, so that ruled several puppies out. They were all friendly and confident puppies, but definitely had different personalities...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I would not purchase from a breeder that believes all the puppies have the same temperament. They do not. And the breeder should be questioning you in some way to make sure you are a good fit for one of their dogs. If they take anybody's money then I'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
I haven’t looked at this particular breeder but in general, not all breeders do temperament matching. To me it wouldn’t be a problem, as long as I can pick my own and/or have the option of not buying if the puppy is not what I’m looking for. For the novice puppy owner, though, this would definitely be important.

The fact that she says all puppies have the same temperament is surprising to say the least. Maybe she was speaking of basic poodle traits, which of course they all share ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But they will have different temperaments, surely? We got matched with our puppy after Avidog testing at seven weeks. We wanted a puppy who was mellow, eager to please, and not too drivey, so that ruled several puppies out. They were all friendly and confident puppies, but definitely had different personalities...
What you are describing is the ideal situation. Unfortunately with the covid situation puppies are in hight demand and breeders want u to commit on a puppy way before they are old enough to be tested.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ah, but the ideal situation does exist! Even with COVID, breeders are still being selective in which puppy goes where. I'd say they're being even more so now, since they have so many people trying to throw money at them for a dog. What this breeder sounds like is a less than ideal breeder, since if they really cared about the dogs, they'd be trying to find the best home for the puppies based on their temperaments. There's no possible way for all the puppies in a litter to have the same temperament--dogs are individuals just like people. I personally would pass and try to find another breeder--you might have to wait a little longer, but at least you know that the puppy is the best possible one for you.

·
Super Moderator
6,328 Posts
What are you looking for in a poodle? And what's your home situation like?

Maybe they are confident all their poodles will be a good fit, but how would they know if they've not asked those basic questions?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I'm going to suggest doing a search of PF on this breeder to get some info from past members. Their website simply doesn't have much helpful info.

I went to Advanced Search, used "paradise+poodles" as the keywords and here are the results:

Not knowing your experience with poodles and quality, conscientious breeders, are you familiar with the recommended health tests for the different poodle varieties, positive reinforcement training, and are you interested in some other recommendations?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven’t looked at this particular breeder but in general, not all breeders do temperament matching. To me it wouldn’t be a problem, as long as I can pick my own and/or have the option of not buying if the puppy is not what I’m looking for. For the novice puppy owner, though, this would definitely be important.

The fact that she says all puppies have the same temperament is surprising to say the least. Maybe she was speaking of basic poodle traits, which of course they all share ?
Thanks. You brought up an important point I think I will pick a puppy and if it's not a good match it's better to wait for the next litter..

I'm going to suggest doing a search of PF on this breeder to get some info from past members. Their website simply doesn't have much helpful info.

I went to Advanced Search, used "paradise+poodles" as the keywords and here are the results:
Thanks. I went over the comments and it's hard to get a feel as people have very mixed experiences. I think I will have to meet the puppies in person and decide.
I did some homework and went over parents pedigree and asked for parents health tests and they are looking good. What else should I be aware of?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are you looking for in a poodle? And what's your home situation like?

Maybe they are confident all their poodles will be a good fit, but how would they know if they've not asked those basic questions?
Agreed unless all the puppies have the same temperament they should try to do some level of matching

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Thanks. I went over the comments and it's hard to get a feel as people have very mixed experiences. I think I will have to meet the puppies in person and decide.
I did some homework and went over parents pedigree and asked for parents health tests and they are looking good. What else should I be aware of?
You sound like you have some experience in choosing a quality breeder. I have a personal criteria list that I'll drop in here for you to see what else might be important to you, or it may spark some other ideas for you.

My criteria need not be yours but I think it's important for a potential poodle owner to understand why these criteria are important in choosing a conscientious breeder and to get a well bred puppy to share life with for many years to come.
Every one of these is a talking point a conscientious breeder will welcome, just not all at the same time :)

My ideal breeder is someone who is doing this because they love the breed.
They want to see each new generation born at least as good as the previous, ideally better.
They provide for every dog in their care as if that dog is their own.
They will be there for the new family, and stand behind that pup for it's lifetime, rain or shine, with or without a contract.
They will know the standards and pedigrees of their chosen breed, health and genetic diversity of their lines, and breed to better them.
They will know of the latest studies in health standards for their chosen breed and variety and do the health testing of their breeding dogs.
They will have as many questions for me as I do for them.
They invest in their dogs. They don't expect the dogs to support them.

Breeding Program
! to maintain, improve, strengthen the breed by breeding to standard, for health and genetic diversity,
and will prove their dogs meet these standards by showing or competing
or by breeding from titled parents. It's not the title, but what it shows
! focus is on quality, never quantity
! they do not cross breed
! they limit breeding to one to two breeds
! they limit breeding to only a few litters per year *

Breeding Parents
! registry information available
AKC Registry Lookup
https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/store/search/dog_lookup.cfm?returnpage=undefined&_=2770
! not too old or young for breeding
! not overbred
see https://www.poodleforum.com/threads/asking-questions-from-a-breeder.273579/post-3294246
and https://www.poodleforum.com/threads/frequency-of-breeding-a-bitch.20388/
! genetic health testing done appropriate to breed and variety
! other health testing by exam such as annual eye, hips, patellas
! results of testing on own website, OFA site or testing lab
see http://vipoodle.org/health/health-related-publications/
and OFA Lookup https://www.ofa.org/look-up-a-dog

Living Conditions
! in home with family
! breeder allows, even encourages home visits

Puppies
! routine and urgent vet care, immunizations, dewormings
! socialization
! first groomings
! registry papers
! they will not require spay/neuter before physical maturity
! health "guarantee" generally favors the breeder, not the buyer.
health guarantee is no replacement for health testing of dam and sire.
does the contract/guarantee/warranty rule out covering conditions the parents should have been tested for
do you fully understand the terms of any contract/guarantee/warranty and can you live with them
beginning housetraining is a bonus
temperament testing is helpful

Advertising
! individual website to detail history of breeder, goals for their program
! information on dams, sires, puppies
! no trend pricing for color, gender or size,
! no marketing gimmick terms like "teacup" "royal"

! Anything not found on a public online site should be provided by breeder before buying.

* Many people prefer small scale breeders because they feel the puppies will have better socialization and it's very unlikely to be a puppy mill-like operation.
This doesn't mean that larger scale breeders can't do things right. The breeder of record may not be hands on with every pup or poodle on the place but they should make sure that all the quality of life and attention are paid to all their dogs.

If a breeder wants me to believe that they believe in their dogs, they won't stop the investment when it comes time to find the new families. If they want to cut costs by using free advertising sites like craigslist or listing on retail marketplaces like puppyspot or puppyfind, or other classified ad sites such as newspapers, I wonder what else they've cut costs on.

Reactions: Snell

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi All,
We are thinking of bringing home a spoo from Paradise Poodle located in North Cal. The Sir and Dam pedigrees look pretty impressive but I have a few concerns about the breeder as she is not requiring a puppy application and doesn't do family matching based on puppies temperament testing says that all puppies will have equal temperament... I would like to have your feedbacks please. Should I trust this breeder? Couldn't find much reviews online. Thank you!!
I'd be very leary of working with a breeder who believes all puppies have equal temperament and would try to sell that concept to a puppy buyer :oops: I can tell you that is absolutely 100% not true, there is a variety of temperaments in every litter. Both my dogs were matched to me by my breeder after extensive conversations about what I planned to do with them. In my case, that was high-level performance training and showing in multiple venues - obedience, rally, barn hunt, and especially agility. I will tell you the dogs she picked for me from each litter, based on Volhardt testing done at 7 weeks, her observations from having been around the litters 24/7 while raising them, evaluations by another breeder for conformation and another evaluation by an obedience trainer were spot on. I can also tell you the high drive, high energy dogs I got (and absolutely wanted) would have driven someone who didn't want that kind of personality crazy and been a totally unhappy match. Just as a laid back dog that I had to coax and drag through agility courses or who preferred to hang out on the couch would have absolutely not been a fit for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You sound like you have some experience in choosing a quality breeder. I have a personal criteria list that I'll drop in here for you to see what else might be important to you, or it may spark some other ideas for you.

My criteria need not be yours but I think it's important for a potential poodle owner to understand why these criteria are important in choosing a conscientious breeder and to get a well bred puppy to share life with for many years to come.
Every one of these is a talking point a conscientious breeder will welcome, just not all at the same time :)

My ideal breeder is someone who is doing this because they love the breed.
They want to see each new generation born at least as good as the previous, ideally better.
They provide for every dog in their care as if that dog is their own.
They will be there for the new family, and stand behind that pup for it's lifetime, rain or shine, with or without a contract.
They will know the standards and pedigrees of their chosen breed, health and genetic diversity of their lines, and breed to better them.
They will know of the latest studies in health standards for their chosen breed and variety and do the health testing of their breeding dogs.
They will have as many questions for me as I do for them.
They invest in their dogs. They don't expect the dogs to support them.

Breeding Program
! to maintain, improve, strengthen the breed by breeding to standard, for health and genetic diversity,
and will prove their dogs meet these standards by showing or competing
or by breeding from titled parents. It's not the title, but what it shows
! focus is on quality, never quantity
! they do not cross breed
! they limit breeding to one to two breeds
! they limit breeding to only a few litters per year *

Breeding Parents
! registry information available
AKC Registry Lookup
Dog Search
! not too old or young for breeding
! not overbred
see Asking questions from a breeder
and Frequency of Breeding a Bitch
! genetic health testing done appropriate to breed and variety
! other health testing by exam such as annual eye, hips, patellas
! results of testing on own website, OFA site or testing lab
see Health Related Publications - Versatility In Poodles, Inc.
and OFA Lookup https://www.ofa.org/look-up-a-dog

Living Conditions
! in home with family
! breeder allows, even encourages home visits

Puppies
! routine and urgent vet care, immunizations, dewormings
! socialization
! first groomings
! registry papers
! they will not require spay/neuter before physical maturity
! health "guarantee" generally favors the breeder, not the buyer.
health guarantee is no replacement for health testing of dam and sire.
does the contract/guarantee/warranty rule out covering conditions the parents should have been tested for
do you fully understand the terms of any contract/guarantee/warranty and can you live with them
beginning housetraining is a bonus
temperament testing is helpful

Advertising
! individual website to detail history of breeder, goals for their program
! information on dams, sires, puppies
! no trend pricing for color, gender or size,
! no marketing gimmick terms like "teacup" "royal"

! Anything not found on a public online site should be provided by breeder before buying.

* Many people prefer small scale breeders because they feel the puppies will have better socialization and it's very unlikely to be a puppy mill-like operation.
This doesn't mean that larger scale breeders can't do things right. The breeder of record may not be hands on with every pup or poodle on the place but they should make sure that all the quality of life and attention are paid to all their dogs.

If a breeder wants me to believe that they believe in their dogs, they won't stop the investment when it comes time to find the new families. If they want to cut costs by using free advertising sites like craigslist or listing on retail marketplaces like puppyspot or puppyfind, or other classified ad sites such as newspapers, I wonder what else they've cut costs on.
Thank you. This was very helpful. Paradise Poodle nails pretty much every points you mentioned. I think I will get a puppy from them. I will keep the forum posted on how it goes :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts