Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winnie is a 6mth old mini poo. I am trying to train her to jump into my arms. I started on the floor and she got that pretty quickly. I progressed each time a bit higher by sitting on cushions each time adding another cushion. It took a bit longer but she finally got that and is now fine with it. She is a bit big for my lap so not sure if she feels unsteady and that's why it took a bit longer than on the floor. I am moving to the next stage of chair height. I can't get her to jump onto my lap at this height even though she can jump on other chairs and the beds which are much higher than my lap. The best I can get is that she puts up her front paws on my lap but then starts barking. If I ask her to jump up on the chair she can do that no problem. It's jumping up on my lap that is the problem. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way to train this? I thought maybe she was too big for this but I have seen bigger dogs do this trick. What's the way forward or shall I try a different method? Thanks

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I just want to clarify your question. Do you want Winnie to jump up into your arms while you’re standing or do you want her to jump into you lap while you are sitting. They are two very different tricks.

Since Winnie is just 6 months old I wouldn’t ask her to repetitively jump in training till she is about a year and her bone plates are closed.

If you want her to jump in your lap, she may not find your lap comfortable to sit in. Have you tried it with a pillow or folded towel/throw on your lap?

edited to add, my suggestion for a pillow or throw on your lap was if you wanted her to jump into your lap, while you were sitting, so she could get petting and snuggles. It was not meant to be inserted in teach your dog to jump into your arms.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to clarify your question. Do you want Winnie to jump up into your arms while you’re standing or do you want her to jump into you lap while you are sitting. They are two very different tricks.

Since Winnie is just 6 months old I wouldn’t ask her to repetitively jump in training till she is about a year and her bone plates are closed.

If you want her to jump in your lap, she may not find your lap comfortable to sit in. Have you tried it with a pillow or folded towel/throw on your lap?
I am trying to get her to jump into my arms and was trying to start by getting her to jump onto my legs while sitting so i could progress to standing. I'm not really sure how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
At that age, I would just focus on having Winnie run and launch herself confidently into your arms while you’re close to the ground, which it sounds like she’s already doing. Just keep building up that enthusiasm for it, but keep it low and easy for now. And no reps.

With Gracie, elevation was added fairly organically as she got older. The key is to make her feel safe and secure in your arms. Adding things like pillows doesn’t sound very stable.

It’s hard to explain without being able to show you, but from a fully standing position, you can just bend right over and catch Winnie still quite close to the ground. Eventually you can get a bit higher and brace your arms against your knees. But always, always focusing on her enthusiasm.

I’ve always seen this as a joyful, organic bonding moment more than a trick. Wish I had some videos of Gracie doing it to better illustrate what I’m describing.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
115 Posts
You are trying to get your Winnie the mini to jump into your arms and we are trying to keep our Winnie the standard (her parents are 60 and 75lbs) to keep her feet on the floor.
When I'm sitting on the floor she launches herself from 3 feet away and flies into me. Pure joy but oh my I may not enjoy it when she's more than her current 19 lbs. They are so
smart.....she'll figure it out. I can't wait to see a video some day. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts