Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how far down do I clip on a poodle's neck and at what angle, such as from the outside edge of the ear to the dip where the neck joins the chest, etc. Im leaving Mercury's coat fairly long for now untill he has enough of it to do something with. Right now its about 2-3in long in most places. I still haven't decided what clip Ill eventually but for now the longer the better. Does the shape and position of where to clip depend on what trim a spoo will be groomed into?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I was JUST about to post a thread asking this same question. I can't wait to see the responses, the neck is always something that has confused me. It always seems either too long, too short, too wide, too round, too pointy, etc! I hope someone can give some good pics on how the shaved area is supposed to look.

·
Registered
741 Posts
do you mean where the neck is clipped as short as the face i do it in a v down to just below the voice box....

as for the trim if i was doing a lamb trim i would clip all the neck with what ever blade i was doing on the back and then just scissor to blend it in.......
guess it would be the same for any trim

heres a vid i found that may be help full http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPUt2Fk9-co&feature=related

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, you are supposed to stop at the point of the V at the "adam's apple" which is this bump you can feel in their throat. Some go further down if their dog has a shorter neck and I always blend it with thinning shears so that it doesn't look like such a deep V in the coat.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
A good guide is to go as far down the neck, as the nose is long. Hmm, ok, so use your hand as a guide, put your hand along the top of the muzzle, one finger right between the eyes, and note how far along your palm the nose reaches. Then put your hand against the throat, finger up under the jaw and go for about the same length down... does that make better sense?? lol!

It does vary from dog to dog and personal preference, but from what I've seen it is hard to be too long (unless ya take it way down the chest!) whereas I tend to notice when a neck isn't shaved enough cos it looks odd (to me!) There is no real difference in the throat from clip to clip at all, it's one of the few things that doesn't change!!!

A V or a curve at the bottom is personal preference really!

The width depends somewhat on the dog, but it will come inwards from the outside edge of the ear anyway, just as to how narrow it comes in depends on the V or curve thing!

·
Registered
307 Posts
the video posted there is the BEST video I've ever seen concerning facial clipping. I'll definately remember how she old the poodles face just so I know hwo to do it correctly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts