Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed that Kiara's neck seems very short, I talked to my friend about it she said it was because she comes from mainly hunting lines, has anyone else experianced this? I am going to take her down to a 7 today to make her more comfortable then I will be able to take some pics to add, but just wanted to see what everyone else knows about hunting lines vs conformation lines....any help would be great.

I just looked at her breeders site and ALL of their dogs have shorter necks, so maybe there is something about strictly hunting lines.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have noticed that Kiara's neck seems very short, I talked to my friend about it she said it was because she comes from mainly hunting lines, has anyone else experienced this? I am going to take her down to a 7 today to make her more comfortable then I will be able to take some pics to add, but just wanted to see what everyone else knows about hunting lines vs conformation lines....any help would be great.

I just looked at her breeders site and ALL of their dogs have shorter necks, so maybe there is something about strictly hunting lines.....
I have never heard that about the hunting lines , go to the PCA Poodles in America site and they have pictures of poodles hunting , that might help you some , I would think a longer neck would be a advantage to shorter neck, I don't have standards but I do seen in American toy poodles , a ton of them have no neck , the neck sits right on the shoulder blades it looks like, and a lot of breeders don't see that . Check out PCA
:angel:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It could be her clip too. I know Racer has an average length neck but it appears short if the crest is shaped a certain way. You may be able to clip further down the throat to give the appearance of a longer neck :)

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I have never heard that about the hunting lines , go to the PCA Poodles in America site and they have pictures of poodles hunting , that might help you some , I would think a longer neck would be a advantage to shorter neck, I don't have standards but I do seen in American toy poodles , a ton of them have no neck , the neck sits right on the shoulder blades it looks like, and a lot of breeders don't see that . Check out PCA

:angel:

My Dalin Toy Poodles have very long elegant necks.

·
Registered
786 Posts
When we picked Hans up, his breeder said something about the long neck being functional for swimming, to keep their head out of the water. I'm probably not explaining it exactly right, but Hans does carry his head higher when he swims, compared to Ian's parent' golden. So based on what she was saying,the hunting poodles should still have the long neck. The groom really makes a difference in how long Hans' neck looks though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts