Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a question specifically about breeding your poodle, please refer to the links to this incredible virtual library. There's a wealth of information with medical photos (not for the queasy, so you have been warned) that can teach you far more than you will learn here. It should go without saying, but your veterinarian should be your first go-to person, and a mentor if you have one can be enormously helpful. Other than this read before you breed to avoid or minimize disaster.

The reason you are referred to this page is Poodle Forum has very few experienced breeder members who are knowledgeable enough to help others. In addition, the topic of breeding is so divisive that it often creates conflict and bad feelings on threads whenever questions of this type are brought up.

Note: this section is not comprehensive, and they have many other articles on breeding problems. Before you consider that having puppies is a good idea, other things to learn for prospective breeders are the Poodle Breed Standard, breeding to improve the breed, and the extreme importance of DNA and other health testing to rule out genetic diseases particular to poodles, color genetics, the high financial cost of breeding or losing your dam if things go wrong, and the importance of early puppy socialization, etc.

These links are via dogbreedinfo.com:

Registered
I read through these years ago, and as someone in the veterinary field I often recommend them to people with a pregnant dog. A lot of really good info there.
I also highly recommend Puppy Culture. The website has a bunch of mini videos and posts that are free, but it's 100% worth it to purchase The Powerful First 12 Weeks series. It includes practical aspects of caring for a pregnant bitch and raising puppies, but the real focus is on best practices to positively influence behaviour/emotional health of puppies.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestion. Puppy Culture strikes me as a solid program and elsewhere I've read they're good. I found the site link with the few free videos, which is here. Jane Killion also has a YouTube channel with a dozen short videos from 1 to 5 minutes, here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts