Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And Poppy has an upset tum again. She has had a dose of paste, and I am now sitting up to be sure the alarums and excursions are over before going back to bed - better than being yanked awake again just as I am dropping off! I am also trying, without success, to think what may have triggered it this time - she hasn't eaten anything unusual as far as I know, or had a particularly stressful time.

Half an hour to go before it's worth trying to sleep...yawn, yawn, grumble, grumble.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We found that glycerine in the expensive soft-moist training treats and polyethylene glycol in the cheap ones were very effective laxatives. Alfie can only tolerate crunchy baked treats and jerky type treats. Even one tiny treat with glycerine will go flying through him.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, Jbean. She has had very few treats today, and nothing new, but it is something to bear in mind. It has now been over an hour since she asked to go out, so I shall crawl back to bed and hope for uninterrupted sleep till morning.

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I hope Poppy is feeling better.

I avoid glycerin and polyethylene glycol and many other ingredients too. Sensitive stomachs don’t tolerate these kinds of chemicals.

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poppy slept like a log all the rest of the night, and demanded breakfast as usual. It took me rather longer to get back to sleep, so I am now feeling somewhat zonked - fairly typical morning after a Poppy tummy upset, in fact. They come every few months, usually with a fairly obvious cause but sometimes for no apparent reason, which makes it hard to discern a pattern. I now avoid the food causes (too many treats, large meals, etc), and take precautions when I know she will be stressed by visitors or other events, but some triggers I have yet to pin down.

Reactions: scooterscout99

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Oh those late nights. I have insomnia and Asta and I keep each other company until I get very sleepy. Then its off to bed for my pup and me.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Acid tum at 4am last night - out twice to eat grass and vomit, then I gave her an anti-sickness pill prescribed by my vet, which let us all sleep till 7.30am. I think perhaps she needs a small meal before bedtime to settle her tummy - I must make some suitable low calorie biscuits.

·
Super Moderator
5,123 Posts
I think you might be right about the acid. Our old mini needed a handful of kibble before bed or she'd be up early vomiting bile. It was also important she ate breakfast before any morning activity.

As long as I followed these rules, her stomach stayed mostly settled, but she was sensitive her whole life, especially to any excitement (good or bad).

I let the vet give her anti-vomiting medication once, but never again. It left her very disoriented. A frightening experience.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These tablets seem to work with no unpleasant side effects - more anti-acid than anything else. I explained to my vet that Poppy would get increasingly uncomfortable then need to go out and eat grass until she vomited, repeating this every 40 minutes or so until she felt better and went to sleep; then she would wake up hungry and raring to go. His response was that she seemed to know just what to do so why not let her get on with it - until I pointed out that spending half the night out in the rain with her was not doing me any good at all! She rarely needs them - half a dozen tablets last us for a year or two - but it is good to have something that works to hand in the early hours.

I shall definitely try a bedtime snack - I think that would be popular with both dogs even if it doesn't solve the tummy issues! The only downside is that they will be even more determined to get me up to bed at 8.30pm....

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
This is an interesting thread. I give my dogs a biscuit bone and a little piece of jerky every night at bedtime (excepting the Chihuahua who does not like biscuits, so she just gets a Chihuahua-size piece of jerky). The four of them sleep through the night - two in crates in our bedroom, the Chi in her little bed next to our bed, and the senior citizen dog on our bed.

I wonder if the bedtime bones and treats are the ticket to a calm night? The old dog (14) does get up and go to the exercise yard a couple of times - old age bathroom issues just like people. He can still jump up onto the bed - guess when that becomes too hard I'll have to build him some steps.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to dash to the emergency vet with Poppy this afternoon when she started very bloody diarrhoea, so it looks as if this time it is rather more than hunger heaves. The vet didn't seem unduly worried - checked her over, prescribed antibiotics (which they won't do unless absolutely necessary), and said to watch for dehydration, which I was already checking.

I think we shall go to bed very early, to get a few hours sleep in case things get busy later on...

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hope the antibiotics help Poppy.

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updating on this thread:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts