Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annie went camping. Annie wore her martingale all weekend, and a harness most of the time, and had great fun rolling in the dirt and ashes and leaves. Annie's owner didn't brush her during the camping trip. Annie came home with awful mats on her topknot and neck and tail and behind the ears. Annie had a bath and an HV dry, an hour or so of tail and topknot and ear dematting, and has now been clipped. Annie's owner found dirt IN the neck mats while clipping. Luckily, no ticks (picked a few crawling on ME during the trip).

Poor Annie.

What do you think? I went through Kalstone's book looking for a clip with a shaved neck. It was either a Dutch variant or a Miami, and I thought a Miami might be too cold. Not sure I like it, may shave the rest of her down into a Miami soon.

Before:

·
Super Moderator
9,017 Posts
Wow Annie's human! You're a pro. That must have required a tremendous amount of patience.

I think she looks very distinguished. A Miami sounds super chilly for Canadian winters. Peggy's clipped down to a 7 right now and she's curled up in a tight ball.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
That's an interesting cut. I like it.

I feel for you when it comes to dirt inside the mats. That's how the worst of Pogo and Snarky's mats would start. A seed or some other bit of debris would get caught in the hair, and the mat would form around it like the layers of a pearl around a grain of sand.

·
Registered
841 Posts
This must be the latest cut from Louis Vuitton poodle line just released to the public for the first time. cameras flashing

It's poodalicious. I like it because it's edgy. It reminds me of disconnected side-part haircuts for guys. It's like Annie's wearing a crop top. Walk Annie around the neighborhood like she's Crufts front page dog because her cut is the new "in" cut for 2020.

It looks new so it's a shock. You can redesign. It always grows back

Attachments

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I think it's a really smart choice. Looks great and a more comfortable than a Miami in colder weather.

I carry a comb in my car so I can comb out any burrs or mats as soon as I notice them - before they get worse.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ooh nicely done! I would love to try it on Raffi- but I think my family would be highly against it. And I'm not so sure I could do that one.
Raffi went through a phase where the back of his neck kept getting matted. I did my own variant on a shorter modified continental, and trimmed from the back of his skull down to the base of his neck, and around with a v in front.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow Annie's human! You're a pro. That must have required a tremendous amount of patience.

I think she looks very distinguished. A Miami sounds super chilly for Canadian winters. Peggy's clipped down to a 7 right now and she's curled up in a tight ball.
Surprisingly little patience. 3 days of grooming. Clipped today, brushed a bit (and gave up) yesterday, washed the day before, FFT a week ago or so so I didn't bother redoing them.

That's an interesting cut. I like it.

I feel for you when it comes to dirt inside the mats. That's how the worst of Pogo and Snarky's mats would start. A seed or some other bit of debris would get caught in the hair, and the mat would form around it like the layers of a pearl around a grain of sand.
I have a funny feeling the origin of this haircut was some groomer going. Hmmm... I cut out all the worst mats behind the ears and around the neck. I wonder how I can make it look balanced? In our house, previous drastic haircuts have been inspired by pine sap.

This must be the latest cut from Louis Vuitton poodle line just released to the public for the first time. cameras flashing

It's poodalicious. I like it because it's edgy. It reminds me of disconnected side-part haircuts for guys. It's like Annie's wearing a crop top. Walk Annie around the neighborhood like she's Crufts front page dog because her cut is the new "in" cut for 2020.

It looks new so it's a shock. You can redesign. It always grows back
Lol!!!

I think it was the IN Poodle style of the 1950s or so. Probably the same time as the origin of that man's hair cut you showed actually. It's definitely growing on me, I love how muscular it makes her hips look. There are a ton of variants in Kalstone's Poodle grooming book of the same trim.

I think it's a really smart choice. Looks great and a more comfortable than a Miami in colder weather.

I carry a comb in my car so I can comb out any burrs or mats as soon as I notice them - before they get worse.
Sadly ... I HAD a comb with me. Even took it on hikes with me in case we found burrs. But by the end of the day, I was just too lazy to do poodle grooming.

Ooh nicely done! I would love to try it on Raffi- but I think my family would be highly against it. And I'm not so sure I could do that one.
Raffi went through a phase where the back of his neck kept getting matted. I did my own variant on a shorter modified continental, and trimmed from the back of his skull down to the base of his neck, and around with a v in front.
Interestingly, I sent a picture to my fancy poodle cut hating friend, and she really likes it! I would beg for forgiveness instead of ask for permission, easy enough to do a shavedown after.

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
My mother clipped poodles back in the 1960s - there was a white mini called Sparky who was always in a Dutch clip. Seeing Annie brings back a lot of memories!

Reactions: For Want of Poodle

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I think you did a great job. I now keep Renn cut with only a longer top knot, ears and a fluffy tail. Don't want to comb more than I have too, lol. Which reminds me its been 3 weeks and already time to do him again. I've been using a 5 on his body and 10 elsewhere. I'm still trying to trim better between toes and pads. They grow so fast, and he needs a bath and thats a bit challenging in this house.

·
Premium Member
24,113 Posts
I think she looks great. I like variations on that look, Javelin has sported Dutch or Town and Country variations for much of his life.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Interestingly, I sent a picture to my fancy poodle cut hating friend, and she really likes it! I would beg for forgiveness instead of ask for permission, easy enough to do a shavedown after.
Lol too true! Consider me inspired. I'm planning to groom Raffi in the next several days, so we'll see what variation I come up with!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts